“Good Cuban food”
Review of Baracoa Cuban Cafe

Baracoa Cuban Cafe
Ranked #2,896 of 10,467 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Reviewed 10 June 2016 via mobile

I have been coming to Baracoa for about 10 years. The food is good and consistent. I enjoy the oxtail, black beans, and Ropa Vieja. I truly enjoy the background music, salsa. Dim lighting gives this cozy restaurant a very welcoming feeling. The service is very good.

Reviewed 1 June 2016

I like Cuban food, and have enjoyed meals in Little Havana in Miami. This restaurant is okay, but the beans and rice were pretty bland on their own. Also, I sat outside, and it was difficult to get much attention. If I wanted something, I had to go inside and tell the waiter.

Reviewed 9 February 2016

I was thrilled when I walked into this small, local place. The aroma was seductive. Dim, small and candle lit, this place seemed full of promise. The menu is limited - also often good sign of a kitchen that concentrates its energy. They were out of Arroz con Pollo - touted as gandma's famous recipe. My companion and I decided to go a la carte. Tamales. Empanadas. Salad. Black beans. In a Thai restaurant I always go for green or Panang curry. It's my bench mark. And in a Cuban place - black beans.
The beans were just so so. Tender but not very flavorful. The tamales, the pork tamales were wonderful. The masa tender, flavorful and so fresh. The empanadas seemed stale. The salad was unremarkable. The service was pleasant but casual.
This is a place that I would go back to, for lunch, to try the arroz con pollo. But otherwise, I'd try somewhere else.

Reviewed 15 December 2015

Cozy wine bar atmosphere, band on weekend, I had the Ropa vieja dinner shereded beef in tomato sauce, white rice ball, black beans and sweet plantains, waitress where nice well dressed soft music was nice, nice romantic atmosphere for couples, food was delicious.

Reviewed 21 April 2015

We came to an empty restaurant 3pm Sunday and were greeted with arrogant and inflexible service from Jocelyn. It riled us so much that we had to leave with empty bellies. The manager, Alejandro, was not on site so sadly i had to speak to the server, Jocelyn, who had caused the problem in the first place. I tried to explain why we were unhappy, but it fell on Jocelyn's deaf ears. Advice: For Cuban try La Cubana or El Cochinito Restaurant instead, or like us go to El Buen Gusto.

Here's what happened. We arrived FIRST before a table of 6 and a solo diner sat down, but we were served LAST. That meant the last plate of the arroz con pollo was sold to customers behind us in line. Major bummer.

Jocelyn pointed to a sign on the wall saying that they don't serve the table till the whole party is seated. I was outside parking the car right outside Baracoa as the lady and baby went into the empty Baraoca. But if we're talking about signs how about reading sign by the cash register. It's a twist on Theodore Roosevelt: "The customer doesn't care how much you know until they know how much you care." Obviously Jocelyn's training skipped the explanation of this sign as there was no care for our custom. No flexibility to listen to a customer and win their business. That sticks in your throat. My suggestion for another sign: "While the manager is away, the staff will ruin your business!"

So no arroz con pollo, so we we ordered oxtail and another beef dish. Then we wanted to swap out the oxtail for fricasse pollo. Jocelyn said it was already in the grill. Ok, but you know we were already inconvenienced by losing out on our first choice. When we insisted on switching the dish Jocelyn said she it was too late and the dish would go to waste.

The result of that attitude we decided to leave the restaurant. Jocelyn didn't feel in any way responsible for this outcome. She didn't care that our first time experience made us NEVER want to dine here again. That's a major statement - I've review 990+ places as a nine-year Yelp Elite and have never said that before.

So what just happened here? Let's tally the score:
1) Jocelyn said she couldn't waste the beef dish that we wanted to switch for chicken. Result: when we left two dishes were wasted.
2) Jocelyn said Baracoa is a small business and couldn't waste food. Result: we took our business to restaurants that care about their customers. (Was our repeat custom worth more than one dish? Was a positive Yelp review worth something?)
3) Jocelyn commented that this was our first time visiting. Result: It'll be the only time. In fact this visit was so bad we left without even eating!
4) Jocelyn quickly gave me Baracoa's manager's business card for me to complain and boldy volunteered to spell her name for me. Result: I'm writing her name in this review so anyone who wants an arrogant server knows to find one. Or possibly for Jocelyn to read this and realize the service industry is not for her.

Is there a happy ending to this review? We walked past Bon Vivant which was busy. We crossed over to El Buen Gusto and it was so busy we had to wait for a table. The kitchen was really slow too, but the staff really value their customers. That cannot be underestimated. As the saying goes: "The customer doesn't care how much you know until they know how much you care." LOL.