“Want to Love, but Not Perfect”
Review of Madera

Madera
Reserve with OpenTable
Madera is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 129 Restaurants in Menlo Park
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: HWY 280
Description: Madera Restaurant Honored with One Star by Michelin and Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence 2012. A comfortably elegant ambiance, picturesque views and outdoor terraces welcome guests and Silicon Valley locals to Madera. Featuring an open artisan wood-burning kitchen and extensive wine list, Madera serves rustic American cuisine that celebrates the culinary traditions of the Bay Area In addition to indoor and outdoor dining, Madera offers two private dining rooms with private terraces and cozy fireplaces. The Lemon Room seats up to 10 guests, and the Orange Room up to 14 guests. This Menlo Park restaurant is open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner and for Sunday brunch as well.
Reviewed 19 October 2017

The view is gorgeous, and the service quite good. Most of the food is very good, but not truly excellent as you would expect at a Michelin starred restaurant. We've been here many times for lunch and dinner; and while always good, there is also always something less than ideal or even mediocre.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

This restaurant is beautiful. It reminds me of a ski lodge with fire places roaring, big wooden beams etc. I must say I had a very hard time understanding the menu. We had to ask the waiter to translate. My friend had the halibut and did not like it. My other friend had salmon and said it was ok, not the best she's ever had. She said it wasn't salty or crispy enough. I had the Rib-eye and I have to say it was absolutely divine! It was so tasty I could've eaten 10 of them! They also had amazing bread served with the meal.

Reviewed 6 October 2017

its a posh place with a gorgeous view and sunset.
Food is a bit better than average.
Don't sit near the open kitchen. it is very noisy.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

My family went to Rosewood Sand Hills to celebrate my wife's birthday. I have heard of Madera in the past but did not know much about it. We were deciding whether go out to dinner or just stay in the resort and go to Madera. I have read the reviews online and it was mixed. For the convenience, we thought to give it a try. We are glad that we did!
The price is not too bad. Most of the entree are in the $30 dollars range. This is actually good for resort fine dining. Most of the resort restaurant we tried had entrees in the $40 to $50 range.
The negative reviews I read mostly complains of lack of flavor of the food. We ordered chilled carrot soup, Kampachi Crudo, Duck and Yukon gold Gnocchi. After the meal I can see the reasons for those complaints. However, I beg to differ. My take on what the chef is trying to accomplish with just one meal at Madera is the use of amazingly fresh ingredient and their natural aroma to flavor the dish. The initial taste of both Kampachi and chilled carrot soup seem mild and bland. The most notable thing I noticed that is different from other places is the lack of sauces on the dishes. However, as I give it some time and savor the food, I noticed the freshness of the ingredient and the amazing natural flavors kicking in working with each other. Both Kampachi and carrot soup were refreshing and delightful.
The duck was prepared medium rare. The plate has an array of beautiful colors created by various ingredients. Duck was amazing cooked and flavor came from a dry rub on the skin and a thin sauce. It is excellent when eaten with sides which is a mixture of fig and vegetable.
The star of the night for me was the Gnocchi. I think that any good chef can prepare a steak or duck medium rare. Only excellent chef can prepare a fish just right that is cooked but still tender and not dry, or create amazing vegetarian dish. The mixture of basil, pine nuts, fennel, a special crunchy tomato and sheep cheese create such a delightful flavor that took me by surprise. The Gnocchi was roasted to create a slight crunch outside which add a depth to its usual softness. I loved the dish. It leaved me wanting for more as I ate my last bite (warning: the portion is on the smaller side).

Next morning, We returned for brunch. After my experience with Gnocchi the previous night, I ordered the Lentil dish with spinach and fried eggs. Again, it was amazing. I am not a fan of lentil and has yet to like any lentil soup or dish much. I was hesitant when I ordered it. I end up loving every bite of it. The lentil was cooked in such a way it still has some crunch to it as oppose to soft and mush which is usually how I have tasted it in the past in soup or stew.
Of course, I have to mention the service. All the staff were excellent. They are very knowledgeable of the dishes served, very warm and friendly. Part of the great experience was due to them.
My conclusion is that Madera is not for everyone. If you like heavy sauces and powerful seasoning, this place may not be for you.

Reviewed 27 September 2017

We have dined twice at Madera/Rosewood as guests at large parties and twice on our own or with another couple. The setting is beautiful and valet parking works well. The dining room is very attractive and the seating is comfortable. Unfortunately, the food is consistently disappointing (oversalted, for example) and the service is poor. For example, at a recent party, the selections of two guests at our table were swapped even though they were clearly marked on the place cards. Also, one of the guests informed the server of an allergy at the start of dinner but his cautionary comment was ignored. Hopefully, Madera/Rosewood will take a hard look at their cusine and service because the potential for a wonderful experience is there.