All reviewswe've stayedburgerlassen volcanic national parknew ownersbring your owncoffee makeronly stayed one nightsouth entrancea great place to staysitting roomcheck hoursgreat cabinper nightchose this placechecking outsmall tableplenty of hot water
Reviewed 11 October 2017

While visiting Lassen Volcanic National Park, we stayed at Mill Creek Resort. We weren't looking for this rustic accommodations, but other than the over-priced Highland Ranch Resort this is about all in the area. We did little else but sleep, getting in a bit late, going a ways to eat, leaving early.

The Resort is a nice place. Nicer than some in the area. It's way out there in the middle of nowhere. Our cabin was clean and well maintained. It had a bedroom with bed and bed tables and a living/dining room - kitchen combination. There was also a back deck overlooking a meadow. For atmosphere, there's a little stream running beside the cabin. The folks running the Resort are pleasant and accommodating. We were disappointed that the café closed at 5pm (their confirmation email had said that it closed at 6pm, but they said that for the off season they closed earlier).

We enjoyed our night. The only thing missing was bath items. No soap, shampoo, lotion. We don't need a lot, but my wife was in the shower before she realized that there was no soap or shampoo.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2017

Mill Creek Resort was the highlight of our 3 week California vacation! Our travel experiences are typically a little more "high end" but my children really wanted to go camping so I decided that "cabin camping" would be a nice compromise...I found Mill Creek Resort by word of mouth and wasn't completely sure what to expect...it's charm, combined with truly EXCELLENT service will having us coming back to Mill Creek again (and hopefully again!). First- the natural beauty of the property is incomparable. It is breathtaking, surrounded by old wood cedars and pines (I found several sequoia trees too)...it's quiet and peaceful and yet located only 30 minutes from "town" Chester, CA, Lake Almanor and only 20 minutes from the gates to Lassen National Park. It's the perfect "home base".....that said, while we did get out and explore the surrounding areas, I think the best times that we had were at Mill Creek Resort itself....It has such a friendly family atmosphere and it felt like home away from home. Upon checking in and chatting with Joe and Jillian (who took over ownership only a few months ago), we felt like old friends. Our cabin was adorable! I know that they are planning to make changes to some of the more "dated" aspects of the decor, etc. but honestly, I thought it was cute and more importantly, CLEAN! I much prefer the MCR cabins to the Yogi Bear Resort cabins that we've stayed in on the East Coast. There were so many little comforts and everything is there needed to have a comfortable "camping" experience....Also, there was a minor issue with our cabin when we first checked in and it was taken care of immediately and with a smile. My plan was actually to make our own food in the cabins but in the end, the restaurant was so good that we ate there most meals! They have a very affordable, varied menu and everything we had was delicious. Apparently they are known for their burgers and milkshakes....We never tried the burgers but we all LOVED the shakes! Jillian even made some special flavors for us that weren't on the menu based on fresh local fruits that she had on hand. Everyone that works there is just so kind and friendly...many of the employees are locals and had lots of suggestions and stories to tell us...We literally hugged everyone goodbye when we checked out! If you are looking for a simple, soul restoring experience in one of the most beautiful settings in America, Mill Creek Resort is the place! Can't wait until we go back.

Room Tip: Cabins, Tent sites and RV parking is all available!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank MaryanneGIG
Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed in one of the cabins for two nights. They were very clean and comfortable. Their location in amongst the trees was wonderful. We ate both nights at their cafe /bar - the burgers and milkshakes were great. The new owners, Joe and Gillian, were very helpful and friendly. If you want to visit Lassen Volcanic National Park, this is a great place to stop.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2017

I could not have been happier at Mill Creek Resort. We were a group of 8 from the Berkeley Hiking Club, there for 4 nights/5 days. I was impressed by the total cleanliness of my cabin, and clean everywhere I went on the grounds. There's a coffee shop with great food. We were close to Lassen, and did different fantastic hikes each day. The owners, Jillian and Joe, are super helpful, trying hard to make sure everyone is happy. All in all, I strongly recommend this by to anyone, and I plan to return next year. I can't say enough about the overwhelming customer service I got from everyone who worked there. People really did care about all the details.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank onemaringuy
Management response:Responded 27 July 2017

We can't thank you enough for your thoughtfulness & taking the time to write us a review. We enjoy making our guests comfortable as if they were a guest in our home. (Which you are!)

We look forward to having you next year & exploring more of the beautiful Lassen area.

Have a great rest of your summer!

Thanks so much,
Jillian & Joe from Mill Creek Resort

Reviewed 20 July 2017

Very rustic cabins right out of the Gold Rush Days with a nice little cafe and store. We had a creek flowing right by our back door and the gentle noise drowned out my husband's snoring resulting in my best sleep in years. It's not too far from the main entrance to Lassen. The food is home made and good.

Stayed: June 2017