US$169
US$150
US$145
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$168/night.

US$72
Gateway Inn(Red Bluff)
US$61
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshot tubrooms are smalllassen volcanic national parkpool tableincluded in the pricefull barpac mancoffee and teahighway sidethree nightsplay pooleach room has its ownhome basefried chickenlook forwardsharonhall
Reviewed 27 May 2015

First, my bad for not reading the website more thoroughly before booking. This lodge has no private bathrooms. There are two bathrooms on the second floor shared by seven bedrooms (each has their own sink in the room). Again this was my bad for not reading the website more carefully. If I had realized this I would not have booked it.
Pro: The lodge keepers were friendly and business oriented.
Con: The lodge itself is dated. The cleanliness of the room wasn't up to par. There were spiderwebs all over the ceiling and in the morning I noted an unidentifiable something under the edge of the bed. I might have thought it was a hairball, but they didn't seem to have a cat. The walls of the rooms are so thin we could hear our neighbors on one side arguing (word for word, not even pitched voices) and another neighbor snoring down the hall. We didn't get much sleep on the uncomfortable bed despite being exhausted from traveling the entire day.
This lodge will not be on my recommendation list.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Debbi A
BernardChester, Owner at St. Bernard Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2015

Debbi, thank-you for taking the time to respond to my e-mail inquiry to you. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. It is hard to respond without sharing some of our correspondence after your stay.

Major factor is that you would not have booked if you realized that all our rooms have shared bathrooms. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do to change that, due to current building codes. We do not hide the fact that we have shared bathrooms and it is listed with the terms and conditions which must be checked to complete a booking.

I have now added a statement about shared bathrooms to the individual room descriptions also. We strive to make sure that our website is not misleading. We want guests to truly enjoy their stay with us. Our best source of guests is from returning guests.

Your room was not 100 percent and I apologize for this. If either problem had been mentioned during your stay it would have been immediately taken care of. The unidentifiable something was a knee high nylon which was most likely hidden behind the wheel on the frame of the bed. It was found during cleaning the morning you left.

After your stay I found one spider filament running from the corner of the room to the middle of the ceiling. Per my e-mail that spider “web” may have been made after cleaning your room and before you checked-in. You did share with me that you did not see it until after retiring for the evening.

This is a historic building and sounds do travel with the Knotty Pine walls. We have added insulation between the walls, limited the number of guests upstairs, limited check-in time all to help alleviate this problem. Most of the time it is not a problem, occasionally we get guests that are not considerate of others or a guest who is a light sleeper. We are always looking for ways to eliminate noises without changing the ambiance of the lodge.

You had a sleep number bed which can be adjusted to any firmness you desire. This is the first time anyone has said the bed was uncomfortable.

Once again thank-you for helping us improve for the next guest.

Reviewed 19 December 2014

I stayed at this lodge with my boyfriend this summer. I had found it on this site, and overall the reviews seemed okay and it was within our budget so we gave it a go. Oh my, I am so glad we did. The interior was rustic yet rich and polished. The bar was lovely. Breakfast was good, coffee a little on the weak side but not too important. Our room was incredible, better than I had imagined. It was clean and simple, with a huge bed and clean bedding. We had a nice little window looking over the back of the property, where they had a stable for guests' horses. Beyond that was simply a line of evergreens extending back as far as I could see. The air in the morning was so crisp and fresh, and everything was so quiet. Overall, loved it!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ember Z
Reviewed 7 October 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at this charming Inn. My boyfriend and I stayed 1 night over 4th of July weekend during a driving tour of northern California.

The Inn itself is darling - full of character. And I happen to like that kind of thing very much. I was a bit skeptical about the shared bathroom thing, but it turned out to not be that inconvenient at all. In the future, I would stay here again despite the shared bathroom because I enjoyed everything else so much.

The location is great for getting to the park and also taking a nice walk around the property. Sharon greeted us and loaded us up with some wine while we strolled around taking in the sites.

We ate dinner at the lodge that evening and the food was GREAT! I was really impressed by this. I thought going in the food would probably not be very good since there are no other choices...but I was pleasantly mistaken. Breakfast the next morning was equally good.

Some other reviewers have commented that Sharon isn't friendly. I have to disagree. I found her to be delightful and full of information about the area. She went out of her way to take great care of us. She was a little bit shy / standoffish when we first arrived, but within minutes she opened up and treated us like friends. Her husband Jim runs the kitchen...and does a great job at it.

Also note, the walls in the rooms are fairly thin and sound does travel...so be mindful of your activities / noise level.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Amber H
Reviewed 29 September 2014

We stayed here 3 nights while visiting Lassen Park. The only negative was that we shared a bath. The room was comfortable and the breakfasts were great. We made arrangements to eat supper there one night and should have done it for all 3, as the food was excellent. We were a little past the summer season and there were not many options for eating in town. Sharon was very helpful with hiking suggestions and routing our trip as we headed to Crater Lake. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Vic S
Reviewed 7 September 2014

3.0 star rating 8/28/2014
The Lodge has a nice bar, the beds were comfortable, bedding clean, good coffee (and plenty of it), and there is great internet service. This is a good place for those who appreciate such things (we did), and who are looking for 'econo' lodging, which we weren't.

My suggestion to anyone planning to stay there is to request a room facing the meadow. Our room faced Hwy 89 and the noise was horrible, esp. around 5:30 am each morning as logging trucks literally ZOOMED past, just a few yards from the bedroom windows. Ear-plugs would work to solve that.

Honestly, though, we won't be going back, primarily because of what I consider sub-standard cleanliness around the place. One bathroom floor needed mopping, along with a whole lot of cleaning around the edge of shower's outside edge along the floor as well as along the wall. Just so noticeable to any guest using the toilet. I cleaned a portion of it using the supplies under the sink, just to prove to myself that it was, indeed, cleanable. There was a window ledge in the restaurant booth we sat at that hadn't been cleaned in at least a month, if not longer (disgusting, I won't go into detail). It was good that they serve food there, and it sufficed, but was NOT anything to rave about.

The proprietors seemed to be simply "going through the motions", and had a "take-it or leave-it" attitude, so if you like a warm, friendly, and welcoming environment, this is not your place. Not once did they ask us how we slept, or how we enjoyed our food (it obviously didn't matter one way or the other). When I reported on the first day, that a toilet kept running, the response was someone didn't flush it right. After day two, and many attempts at flushing methods, we thought we'd figured it out and so I wrote a note and left it there for other guests who were arriving. That way if someone needed to go #2, they didn't have to open back of toilet and fix plunger. In the guestbook, pages back, the toilet running was mentioned as an issue, and yet there was no flushing directions posted, and it was still an issue. No room spray in either of the two shared bathrooms (there are seven guest rooms who share the two) either.

Toilets running properly and spray would seem to be a no-brainer.

Room Tip: included within review... but ear-plugs would serve you well.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sharon B
BernardChester, Owner at St. Bernard Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2015

Sharon:

I am really sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We do really care about our guests experience at the lodge and work hard to provide a comfortable and really enjoyable stay at our lodge. Jim takes great pride in the food he serves and I enjoy helping guests with travel plans and taking care of their needs at the lodge.

I know you were trying to relive a family vacation to the area from 30 years ago. I am sorry that I was unable to help you identify what lodging establishment you stayed at then, with the limited information you shared with me. It was unfortunate that you spent the day driving around the lake unable to find the previous lodging establishment you stayed at.

I do remember asking if you were feeling better the second day because of the bad cold you had. I did not really get an answer, just a look. Part of my usual routine is to ask at least once during every meal if you need anything else and if everything is okay. I do apologize if I failed to do this for you and your husband. It does bother me very much that you felt that you were not provided with warm and welcoming service. Both you and your husband pretty much stayed to yourself and I attritued this to you not feeling well due to your cold. I am sorry that I misjudged things and that we did not have better communication between us.

Yes, some conditions at the lodge were not up to our standards of cleanliness during your stay. Several factors contributed to this and have since been remedied. You mentioned the window sill of the booth that you sat at every meal, on your way out of the lodge on your last morning. I thanked you and had it cleaned before you were out of the lodge. Wish you had given me the courtesy of letting me know that it was dirty on the first morning, or even second morning. I will make sure to check it each morning when setting the table in the future. I am aware that particular window sill does attract dirt and debris from leaving the window open at night to keep downstairs cool. I will be more diligent in monitoring it.

You brought up the toilet problem, while I was taking your breakfast order. I did reply that the problem with the toilet was guests flushing roughly, but that I would have Jim double check it after breakfast. He did check it and adjusted the chain on the flapper, believing the problem was fixed. We have since replaced handle, and flapper to alleviate the problem.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the St. Bernard Lodge. We have learned some valuable lessons from it and made corrections. We appreciate the time you spent to write a review to let us know that we have fallen short. We do prefer to see reviews of praise and will continue to work hard to earn such reviews. However we do appreciate when guests take the time to write reviews with constructive suggestions for improvement.

Hope you will consider giving us another chance in the future to provide you with a very positive and memorable get-a-way.