“Lovely Little Lassen Lodge”
Review of St. Bernard Lodge

St. Bernard Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Mill Creek B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 June 2015

This place has a lot of character and is not a cookie cutter experience. Interior is knotty pine and very warm and welcoming, as are the hosts. Feels like a European lodge with all it's charm but to get it you have to be willing to put up with some inconveniences, like communal bathrooms and walls that transmit sound. On the plus side, the beds were good, the staff friendly and helpful, and the food well prepared. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Yesteryear has nice space and good bed.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 May 2015

First, my bad for not reading the website more thoroughly before booking. This lodge has no private bathrooms. There are two bathrooms on the second floor shared by seven bedrooms (each has their own sink in the room). Again this was my bad for not reading the website more carefully. If I had realized this I would not have booked it.
Pro: The lodge keepers were friendly and business oriented.
Con: The lodge itself is dated. The cleanliness of the room wasn't up to par. There were spiderwebs all over the ceiling and in the morning I noted an unidentifiable something under the edge of the bed. I might have thought it was a hairball, but they didn't seem to have a cat. The walls of the rooms are so thin we could hear our neighbors on one side arguing (word for word, not even pitched voices) and another neighbor snoring down the hall. We didn't get much sleep on the uncomfortable bed despite being exhausted from traveling the entire day.
This lodge will not be on my recommendation list.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Debbi A
BernardChester, Owner at St. Bernard Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2015

Debbi, thank-you for taking the time to respond to my e-mail inquiry to you. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. It is hard to respond without sharing some of our correspondence after your stay.

Major factor is that you would not have booked if you realized that all our rooms have shared bathrooms. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do to change that, due to current building codes. We do not hide the fact that we have shared bathrooms and it is listed with the terms and conditions which must be checked to complete a booking.

I have now added a statement about shared bathrooms to the individual room descriptions also. We strive to make sure that our website is not misleading. We want guests to truly enjoy their stay with us. Our best source of guests is from returning guests.

Your room was not 100 percent and I apologize for this. If either problem had been mentioned during your stay it would have been immediately taken care of. The unidentifiable something was a knee high nylon which was most likely hidden behind the wheel on the frame of the bed. It was found during cleaning the morning you left.

After your stay I found one spider filament running from the corner of the room to the middle of the ceiling. Per my e-mail that spider “web” may have been made after cleaning your room and before you checked-in. You did share with me that you did not see it until after retiring for the evening.

This is a historic building and sounds do travel with the Knotty Pine walls. We have added insulation between the walls, limited the number of guests upstairs, limited check-in time all to help alleviate this problem. Most of the time it is not a problem, occasionally we get guests that are not considerate of others or a guest who is a light sleeper. We are always looking for ways to eliminate noises without changing the ambiance of the lodge.

You had a sleep number bed which can be adjusted to any firmness you desire. This is the first time anyone has said the bed was uncomfortable.

Once again thank-you for helping us improve for the next guest.

Reviewed 19 December 2014

I stayed at this lodge with my boyfriend this summer. I had found it on this site, and overall the reviews seemed okay and it was within our budget so we gave it a go. Oh my, I am so glad we did. The interior was rustic yet rich and polished. The bar was lovely. Breakfast was good, coffee a little on the weak side but not too important. Our room was incredible, better than I had imagined. It was clean and simple, with a huge bed and clean bedding. We had a nice little window looking over the back of the property, where they had a stable for guests' horses. Beyond that was simply a line of evergreens extending back as far as I could see. The air in the morning was so crisp and fresh, and everything was so quiet. Overall, loved it!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ember Z
Reviewed 7 October 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at this charming Inn. My boyfriend and I stayed 1 night over 4th of July weekend during a driving tour of northern California.

The Inn itself is darling - full of character. And I happen to like that kind of thing very much. I was a bit skeptical about the shared bathroom thing, but it turned out to not be that inconvenient at all. In the future, I would stay here again despite the shared bathroom because I enjoyed everything else so much.

The location is great for getting to the park and also taking a nice walk around the property. Sharon greeted us and loaded us up with some wine while we strolled around taking in the sites.

We ate dinner at the lodge that evening and the food was GREAT! I was really impressed by this. I thought going in the food would probably not be very good since there are no other choices...but I was pleasantly mistaken. Breakfast the next morning was equally good.

Some other reviewers have commented that Sharon isn't friendly. I have to disagree. I found her to be delightful and full of information about the area. She went out of her way to take great care of us. She was a little bit shy / standoffish when we first arrived, but within minutes she opened up and treated us like friends. Her husband Jim runs the kitchen...and does a great job at it.

Also note, the walls in the rooms are fairly thin and sound does travel...so be mindful of your activities / noise level.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Amber H
Reviewed 29 September 2014

We stayed here 3 nights while visiting Lassen Park. The only negative was that we shared a bath. The room was comfortable and the breakfasts were great. We made arrangements to eat supper there one night and should have done it for all 3, as the food was excellent. We were a little past the summer season and there were not many options for eating in town. Sharon was very helpful with hiking suggestions and routing our trip as we headed to Crater Lake. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Vic S

Been to St. Bernard Lodge? Share your experiences!