“Not what it used to be”
Review of Ocean Star Seafood

Ocean Star Seafood
Ranked #68 of 181 Restaurants in Monterey Park
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I've been coming to this restaurant for more than one cycle of the Chinese calendar (12+ years) for dimsum on weekdays and on weekends, as well as regular dinners and private dinner parties. The quality of the food has been steadily deteriorating. Still, I hadn't given up hope...until today.

I had a craving for the steamed whole fish but when I found out that they only had tilapia, I opted to try the lobster noodle lunch special. The menu states that you can have lobster any style and then it gives you a list of the types of noodles you can select. When I asked for a spicy preparation, they said that it only comes with one sauce. OK, fine. I'm always up for trying new things.

Unfortunately, it did not taste good. The only flavor you got was that of the goopy cornstarch slurry. Even after doctoring it with some chili oil, I gave up and got a tofu fa to end the meal. The texture wasn't as silky as it could be (and has been before) and the syrup could have used more ginger.

Service was spotty. I had to ask three different people for the regular menu. The cart service women, however, were very nice.

The issue that prompted this 1-star review was the bill. They charged a dollar for tea, which I did not have. So, when I let the waiter know, he said that it's a standard charge for a tea. I reiterated that I did not have any tea. He then said that it was for a seat; "tea/seat, same thing." We went back and forth a couple of times and he took my bill back. Another person gave me a revised bill, with the charge still on it, but it now said that it was a dollar for the setting. To say that I was taken aback would be an understatement. I asked him to show me where it indicated that there was such a charge and he could only show me the "choice of tea" line. At one point, he gestured to the chili oil and said that the charge was for that. He finally relented but still insisted that you have to have tea with dimsum.

All this for a dollar? No, for the principle and for the way they were trying to justify the charge (first the tea, then the seat, then the setting, then the chili oil). I would have had no problem with paying it had that policy been clearly stated, in writing.

2  Thank Sainam

Reviewed 29 December 2008

This is one of the best in Los Angeles. It's not for beginners, as others have pointed out that most of the serves can't translate the items. Still, a lot of it can be figured out. Certainly worth the adventure. For regular afficionados, this is is must, and worth the drive from anywhere in L.A.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Reviewed 4 December 2007

best for dimsum

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 3 December 2007

The best dimsum ever hands down! But go with someone who speaks Chinese. Or be preapred to point and gesticulate and feel confused by the answers to your question, "what's that?"