“Delicious flavors of China”
Review of Ocean Star Seafood

Ocean Star Seafood
Ranked #68 of 182 Restaurants in Monterey Park
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 19 February 2016

Ocean Star Seafood has an incredible assortment of Dim Sum until 2:30 pm, and you can also order off the vast regular menu. The Spicy, Salty Shrimp are unbelievably good! The atmosphere is a little chaotic, as are all dim sum restaurants! Food carts circulate at quite a pace, and it is hard to know what to select. There isn't time to eat it! But it is all good! The restaurant caters mostly to Chinese, but they are accommodating to us each time we go. We love it!

1  Thank Judith B

Reviewed 4 February 2015

I just love the selection of their little plates of dimsum. It is so authentic. Not such a long wait because this restaurant is huge! Not so expensive , too, which is a plus!

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Being Chinese, you eat here because you either want to or not. My last trip here was a for a friend's wedding banquet. Not the first one that I've had here, but the most recent one was actually pretty good. The fish was excellent for once and the rest of the usual banquet fare was better than the most recent ones I had. It was definitely good because I wasn't getting married and paying for the banquet for sure.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

This is one of my favorites for dim sum on a weekend. Although it gets pack and there are no reservations, you should come early. Despite being a large hall of tables, they do get crowded and in spite of the many mouths to feed, they do get their dim sum plates out fast and often. This is the reason why it's one of my favorites. The variety of plates, vegetables, meat and seafood and countless desserts that it's hard to have them all in one meal. Also, with many servers and carts, it can be overwhelming but that's the beauty of the dim sum system, you pick what you want as they stroll the carts with hot and fresh dim sum, you never go hungry, in fact you have to shoo them away as your table gets crowded with so many plates already. The atmosphere itself is an experience itself, noisy and full of locals with their tradition with social outings with friends and family, it's quite a scene. Highly recommend if you enjoy a fresh variety of dim sum and the atmosphere almost as if you're in China or Taiwan itself.

1  Thank sqwanderer
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I've been coming to this restaurant for more than one cycle of the Chinese calendar (12+ years) for dimsum on weekdays and on weekends, as well as regular dinners and private dinner parties. The quality of the food has been steadily deteriorating. Still, I hadn't given up hope...until today.

I had a craving for the steamed whole fish but when I found out that they only had tilapia, I opted to try the lobster noodle lunch special. The menu states that you can have lobster any style and then it gives you a list of the types of noodles you can select. When I asked for a spicy preparation, they said that it only comes with one sauce. OK, fine. I'm always up for trying new things.

Unfortunately, it did not taste good. The only flavor you got was that of the goopy cornstarch slurry. Even after doctoring it with some chili oil, I gave up and got a tofu fa to end the meal. The texture wasn't as silky as it could be (and has been before) and the syrup could have used more ginger.

Service was spotty. I had to ask three different people for the regular menu. The cart service women, however, were very nice.

The issue that prompted this 1-star review was the bill. They charged a dollar for tea, which I did not have. So, when I let the waiter know, he said that it's a standard charge for a tea. I reiterated that I did not have any tea. He then said that it was for a seat; "tea/seat, same thing." We went back and forth a couple of times and he took my bill back. Another person gave me a revised bill, with the charge still on it, but it now said that it was a dollar for the setting. To say that I was taken aback would be an understatement. I asked him to show me where it indicated that there was such a charge and he could only show me the "choice of tea" line. At one point, he gestured to the chili oil and said that the charge was for that. He finally relented but still insisted that you have to have tea with dimsum.

All this for a dollar? No, for the principle and for the way they were trying to justify the charge (first the tea, then the seat, then the setting, then the chili oil). I would have had no problem with paying it had that policy been clearly stated, in writing.

2  Thank Sainam