“Not bad”

Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

This place was OK, but they close pretty early (9.30pm). Wanted to hang out a little longer but with the waitress clearing our table and handing over the bill, we pretty much got the message that it was time for us to leave. She wasn't rude or anything, it's just that they couldn't wait to close shop. The food was good though, the servings were quite generous portions. The tenzaru soba was really nice, though the sashimi in the chirashi could've been a little fresher. A friend ordered the karaage and it looked reasonably good. Price range is as usual "Japanese". Overall giving it 4*.

Reviewed 31 July 2017

We're not part of Yakko's normal clientele, but when we stayed around the corner for a couple of weeks we couldn't help but sample it not once, or twice, but more like five or six times for lunch and dinner. It was only by the last trip that we summoned enough courage to sit a the old-fashioned sushi bar and interact with Leon and his regulars, of which there seems to be many.

People queue up for Sushi Tomi all night on the other side of Castro, but I'm not sure what the difference is, except that one has a reputation and the other one seems happy to fly under the radar and remain a small family business where the chef's kid occasionally comes out to play and say hello (under supervision of course).

The overwhelming sense we had at Yakko's was a genuine welcome and a genuine pleasure at seeing people enjoy the food. This wasn't a slick operation where the service staff automatically expect a 20% tip without caring about your experience.

There was nothing to complain about with the food. Tasty, fresh, lots of variety, excellent sushi.

When we sat at the sushi bar Leon was more than happy to take on any exploratory request that came his way (but make sure to give him a budget or you'll be at the upper end of his sushi menu very quickly!) He has plenty of special items available off menu for his regulars as well, and expect a few quips from him as he works.

All up I can't believe Yakko's only has 14 TA reviews in the last few years and is languishing in the bottom third of MTV restaurants. Goodness knows I've eaten in my fair share of them! For a relaxed and intimate japanese experience we'll be heading back to Yakko's next time we're in town. I wonder if his regulars secretly either don't review, or keep the reviews modest in order not to spoil their local getaway :) If so, I'm sorry to spoil the party!

Reviewed 4 November 2016

Yakko is one of my favorite sushi restaurant in teh Bay Area. I've been dining at Yakko for over a decade. Having moved away from the Bay area for a few years, I recently returned and found their food quality still good and prices still reasonable. Good fresh sushi rolls (only gripe: one of my softshell crab sushi wasn't pressed hard enough and came apart) and tempura. Only dish I wouldn't try again is Agedashi tofu - quality of toufu was not as good as others. It is usually uncrowded (including weekends), except on Friday nights.

Reviewed 11 April 2016 via mobile

Fresh and tasty sushi, friendly service, pricing is 20% lower than a similar restaurant in Cupertino, and the best thing is no 45 min wait! The combo dinner has a lot of variety and enough food for my hungry teenagers, and we like their chirashi bowl and nigiri. Yakko has been in Mountain View for over 20 years and we have tried a number of newer restaurants, but still prefer this great local sushi hangout.

Reviewed 5 November 2014

One of the things I love the most about the Bay Area is that you can find good food from around the world. But what makes it so awesome, is that you can also find AMAZING food from around the world.

Yakko serves sushi and a few other typical Japanese items. All can be considered your "run of the mill" sushi menu options. However, what caught my attention in my first visit here, was the free tofu appetizer. Unpretentious (a Japanese trait) our server brought out a small bowl of deliciousness. The tofu had a soy sauce, green onion and black sesame seed topping. It was amazing. Apparently, they make their own soy sauce there.

We ordered a few main items and all were delivered quickly, with friendly service. My sashimi was "like butter". My husbands chicken teriyaki and beef teriyaki were smooth, tasty and fresh.

Our experience was relaxed and we enjoyed the meal very much. The flavors of everything have elevated our standards now for Japanese cuisine. We look forward to returning.

One small ding on my review though - we ordered a bottle of Sake, listed at $27 on the menu. The server brought out a bottle of Kikusui (a good sake, but not the one on the menu). I didn't think to ask about the difference. So when we got our bill, which I expected to be around $70, it was actually $90! We were charged $50 for the Kikusui. I was upset, but didn't make a big deal about it. However, we did feel like there was a "bait and switch" happening.

We will return, the sushi was that good! But we'll be sure to explicitly talk about the price of sake if we order any.

Atmosphere: is typical Japanese style. A lot of wood, paper lanterns, etc.. They have a "booth" section where you can sit in what looks like the floor Japanese style, but your feet go into a "hole". I don't recommend sitting there, it's very uncomfortable. There are two small tables on the sidewalk. It seems like the best seating is at the sushi bar, interacting with the chef.

Enjoy!