“This place knows customer service and puts out an OUTSTANDING service and product”

Balloons Above the Valley
Ranked #2 of 23 Outdoor Activities in Napa
More attraction details
Owner description: Get Carried Away! Balloons Above The Valley has been voted Best Balloon Ride in Napa Valley 17 years in a row. Dance with the wind above Napa Valley in a colorful hot air balloon. Celebrate your celestial adventure with a festive champagne brunch where you can reminisce about your journey in a serene wine country setting. May The Winds Welcome You Softly
Atlanta GA
167 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 178 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

The balloon flight exceeded my expectations because the attention to details the showed from the telephone staff while ordering to the ground crew, to the pilot. EVERYONE showed the professionalism that gave my family comfort (because my wife was apprehensive) as well as the desire to make sure that we had a great time. If your "bucket list " calls for ballooning, this is the place to use, it was a pleasure.

1 Thank rfamily9
Spencerbob, Manager at Balloons Above the Valley, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Hello rfamily9!
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience with us. We do appreciate it!
Also, thank you for sharing so many wonderful photos. I am sure other tripadvisor members greatly appreciate it, as do we!

Volcano, Hawaii
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“So glad we did it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

I was going to surprise the hubby with this but when he said "as long as your surprise isn't a hot air balloon ride" I thought I'd better tell him so he could get the heebies out of his system. You have to be there no later than 5:30am to leave from Napa but it's a once in a lifetime (maybe) thing so just get up early and don't whine about the early rise. The check process was nice and they tell you who you'll be flying with (3 pilots). They serve coffee and muffins while you wait. I did hear one woman who had to reschedule and the woman said she didn't have her on the list and she said "I drove down from Calistoga and YOU are the person I spoke to so we'd better be on the list!" She said they had plenty of room but it was still not reassuring to hear that if you got bumped you were no longer treated as priority like other reviewers have said. But we really lucked out with the perfect day.

The most scary part of the whole ride was getting in and out of the basket which NO ONE does gracefully and they tell you that. We were lucky enough to have great weather and the most experienced pilot for our flight, Jason. Our flight was 50 minutes long and believe me, you are crammed in there with others, just enough room to turn around but everyone is on the outside so everyone has a view. It's only quiet and peaceful when the burner isn't blaring to keep you moving and that isn't often and even then, you have to hope everyone isn't yucking it up and ruining the zen. It is amazing watching a sunrise from the balloon and honestly, you feel silly for ever being scared in the first place. (I never was for some weird reason) Jason landed with pinpoint precision right where he said he would and when we got back to the store, we tipped him $20 for a good, informative ride. We were a little irritated that it was suggested you tip your pilot especially when you're dropping $200pp already but with the cost of fuel and maintenance, I have a feeling these guys may not get much of the cut when all is said and done so we didn't mind. They have a breakfast when you get back where you can purchase the pics they took of you in the basket/your balloon in flight. Plunk down the $20 if you don't think you'll ever do it again. Will definitely do this again.

Visited May 2011
Hi SistaAng!
Thank you so much for flying with us and letting everyone know about your experience!
Glad to hear that you will be back to fly with us again and we look forward to flying with you!
SFO
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 245 helpful votes
“A Very Pleasant "Bucket List" Check-Off”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

Purchased gift certificate to this place on HalfOffTV.com nearly 2 years ago and finally talked the wife in to going on our anniversary. Turns out she was afraid of heights (didn't tell me! lol) so it took her time to work up the courage. She is very happy we went. Met at the Marriot off Redwood Road/HWY29 in Napa. Had Starbucks and pastries (good ones not just donuts) while getting the rundown and signing waivers. Hopped in a van for a convoy back to a field along HWY 29 in Yountville to get in balloons. We were assigned to Jeff's balloon and received an informative and fun narration of topography, local history and viticulture while "soaring over California." Floated over Napa for an hour changing altitude basically along HWY 29 (which is also the Wine Train route) and landed in Alston Park. Wasn't as cold as you would think because of the burner. Landing was a show of skill from our pilot. Didn't know a balloon could be controlled so precisely. Convoyed back to the Marriot for an upscale champagne buffet breakfast (much better than I thought it would be) and picked up a copy of our photo for $20. Had a nice time but at full price ($230 a person) I'm not sure how many people could do that. I will keep an eye out for the 50% off specials and buy several as gifts.

Arrived at the Marriot at 630am and were back/fed/out the door at 930am with the whole day ahead of us. Wonderfull!

Hints: Don't stop for coffee-Starbucks served there at the Marriot. Use restrooms before leaving hotel as you won't see another one for 2 hours. Wear removeable layers of clothes as it warms up fast. Bring camera with wriststrap. Easy to lose phone over the side.

Visited November 2011
3 Thank WhirledTravelor
Hello WhirledTravelor!
YES! Hot air ballooning is definitely an adventure to check off your bucket list!
Thank you for your kind words about our company.
I am glad that you enjoyed our morning muffins. They are made locally in downtown Napa at Sweetie Pies! We love their pastries!
Unfortunately we don't have any half off specials at the moment, however you can check our website at balloonrides.com at any time for our currents specials!
Thanks again!
Saint Helena, California, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Professional”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

We met at the Marriott in Napa with a delightful array of pastries and coffee. We were then driven to the take-off sight with time to get photos of the balloon inflation process. The pilot did an excellent job of narrating and answering any guestions that were thrown at him. It was an incredible experience topped off with a wonderful buffet breakfast in a courtyard setting back at the Marriott. And lots of champagne to celebrate the day. Photos were taken right before lift off and were waiting for us at our breakfast tables. I was very impressed by the organization of the whole crew!

Visited October 2011
1 Thank Carole C
northern california-east bay
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Very Nice - FULL HOUR RIDE - Pilot was very knowledgeable and nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

So just before we left for our trip my wife saw ratings for this company on Yahoo and they were all bad-- but she must have pushed the wrong button or something because I don't think we could have had a better time. We called the morning of the trip and the answering service told us at 5:15 AM -- "as of right now the ballon ride is still scheduled" which was kinda disconcerting seeing the shy had been clear all night in St Helena -- so off we went to drive to the Napa Marriott where we met in the lobby-- got there at 6:45 and they were ready to leave. Drove back upp the road in the van to the Veterans Home area where their competition --also leaves from. We were in a 18 person basket- and it was not cold enough for long underwear- just a jacket is good. You can really feel the heat from the gas for the balloon. Weather was absolutely PERFECT and got some great pics. I do feel sorry for the massive estates below that frequently have balloons hovering over. We landed by a park area - actually on a street -- the company chase car below had employees scurrying around to grab the lines for the balloon and it was quite a feat to land- we even scraped a tree in the landing process. We landed on pavement "a hard landing" but did not tip over. Actually I thought the landing was a real fun part of the trip. We shuttled back to the Marriott for very nice brunch. They did have items ( the typical picture and extras) to sell but were not pushy. In fact when presented with my credit card receipt I was pleasantly surprised to see there was not a place for a tip-- We did pay a lot for the ride $200 each and I really object to all these vendors, excursions etc expecting a tip. These guys did not even bring it up-- no tip jar etc. I would definitely recommend them- very professional. I timed the ride- based on other reviews I was wondering if they try to cut you short but NOT-- this was a full hour and well worth the experience.

Visited November 2011