“Good, inexpensive food in an old time cafe”
Review of Asia Cafe

Asia Cafe
Ranked #146 of 317 Restaurants in Napa
Reviewed 30 June 2017

This little old fashioned cafe is surrounded by the fancy restaurants in Napa and it offers a good value for some good Chinese classics. The hot and sour soup was the best I have ever had...it was different from the usual soup you get in every Chinese restaurant. This soup was not so thick with corn starch and it has lots of nice tofu and veggies in it. The mushu chicken we had was delicious and the broccoli in garlic sauce was bright green and crisp and once again, not in a thick cornstarch sauce. The fried rice was okay, but I'm not a fried rice fan. The steamed white rice was pretty bad unfortunately. The decor is simple and it is not spotless but the lady who served us was very friendly and sweet. It was a nice meal in a place that I hope can survive the encroachment of gentrification.

Reviewed 23 February 2017

I just moved to the area from Healdsburg, Sonoma County side where the town is seriously deprived of unpretentious asian food and if you want your fix, you have to settle for what I call CON-fusion food types. There is a large vertical sign outside of this restaurant that says CHOP SUEY and in smaller print just above is the name of the place, Asia Cafe. I thought that's pretty cool- if you know this type of food which is chopped veggies (mostly cabbage) with your choice of protein accompanied by a small portion of rice, right away, you get that authentic feeling. Like most of the reviews here the place looks like you walked in to 1980's and the prices on the menu looks more like early early 90's. This is downtown napa, where appetizers next door is the price of the most expensive item inside this restaurant- prime real estate! I ordered vegetable chow mein about $7 for the plate. There was a family celebrating their great-grandmother's birthday and they were having a feast and enjoying all the dishes they ordered. I even heard them ask for takeaway menu (they only do pick-ups and no deliveries) and if they cater (if you order ahead they will make whatever you want). So how was the food? It arrived after about 10 minutes and it was delicious. It was not too oily. The vegetables were still crunchy how I like it, the noodles not overdone and slightly brothy, sesame finish to the dish. For the price, I would say its pretty very good. You can order your noodles crispy and would like to try that next time. Well this meal did cost me $3 (atm fee) extra because I actually had to leave the restaurant and go to the bank next door because this restaurant only take cash or check. So have cash on hand. After nearly a decade of living in a town void of affordable daily Asian take-out or casual eats, I will be eating here and making up for lost time.

1  Thank J J
Reviewed 9 February 2017

I love Chinese food but I cannot believe they call this authentic Chinese food. No taste and no flavor at all. And if you look around the Restaurant you see, dirty floors, dirty tables, food on the walls next to the table and it smell old and dirty. The Owner is very nice but that's it!

Reviewed 3 February 2017

asia is probably the oldest Chinese food establishment in town, making it a local spot as well as a great place for torist to stop by. good prices

Reviewed 28 November 2016 via mobile

Our family opted to try having Chinese right in Napa to save the 2+hour commute to China town. We were impressed by their unique and tasty egg rolls, serving easily 2-3 people per serving (we left the ketchup/mustard accompaniment untouched) Portions were generous! But this Chinese food is definitely Americanized, The Sesame chicken was comparable to Panda Express, The small wonton soup was piled high with stuffed wontons. Service seemed slower than normal but the server was friendly and we enjoyed our visit overall.