New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Grand Forks, North Dakota
“The Bad News Is”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

Introverted I may be, but let me tell you--I had so much fun chatting with the desk clerk the day I called to make a reservation that I knew I was going to have good things to say here later. So now I'm here later with the dish on my stay. After seeing that the Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel had an acceptable rating, I called to book a room for one reason and one reason only: it was across the street from the beach. The aforementioned fun chat began, and before I hung up, my lunch plan for day one of my mini-vacation included a grilled shrimp Chronic Taco upon the clerk's recommendation. (No regrets there.) Only after booking did I read some of the actual customer reviews of the hotel, and I also saw it got Trip Advisor's Hotel of the Year award. I got the sense from customers as well as the pictures that the hotel aura was kind of a "home away from home" feel with its fresh-baked cookies and airy decor. The reality is, it WAS like "home away from home"--perfect. I arrived early, but they reordered the cleaning schedule to prepare my room as quickly as possible at no extra charge. In the meantime, I enjoyed my taco, which I picked up on the way :), in their cozy little dining area before taking off for a brief reunion with the beach prior to a meeting. I was able to get into my super-comfy oceanview room within half an hour, perk a delicious cup of coffee (the in-room accommodations were so superb they made much of my packing redundant, and I'm not exaggerating), and get on with my weekend plans. The good news is that my appreciation of their reasonable rates, excellent location, and pleasant rooms, as well as their ultra-friendly and helpful staff, leads me to say I have no intention of ever staying anywhere other than the Bay Shores in Newport Beach ever again. I loved it. The bad news is, the secret's out.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a room with a view!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank ShaybeeBaybee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

I had a two day break from an intense business trip and this was the perfect place to spend it. The hotel is small enough to get personal attention. The decor is wonderfully suitable for a beach location. Little things make a stay there delightful - the roof deck where you can watch the sun set over the Pacific (if you sit at the high table), the availability of beach equipment at no charge, the free wireless and parking, the cookies in the afternoon and a surprisingly adequate breakfast considering there is nothing cooked (there are breakfast sandwiches you can warm up in the microwave). The bed was comfortable and the bathroom and room were spotless. I liked that the housekeeping staff left doors and windows open to let the sea breezes in (of course closing them afterwards). The location is superb - just across the street from the beach. One very minor complaint is that the desk was not comfortable to work at. But at a place as relaxing as this I should not have been working at all.

Room Tip: If you have a lot of luggage ask for a ground floor room as the elevator is very small.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Efrat L
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

We had a great experience. Our favorite perks were free breakfast that we enjoyed on rooftop patio, fresh baked cookies in afternoon and DVDs and popcorn at night. Staff already mailed us a thank you! Great location great service and great price

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Bkosar19
York England UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

A great little hotel a few steps away from the beach. They had provided everything you could possibly need, down to boogie boards and chairs for the beach! The breakfast room was great, we could help ourselves to breakfast which was quite cute. Teak and coffee was also available all day, and the gorgeous homemade cookies provided at 3pm onwards with ice cold milk from the fridge was a great idea. The sundeck on the top floor was fabulous, unfortunately the weather was not great for us. I was a bit disappointed with the greeting from the receptionistafter other reviews I had read, but generally this is nit picking. A gem of a hotel - but must keep up with the customer service standards I had read about.

Room Tip: The rooms vary I believe but the hotel is usually busy so have to take what you are given probably.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Solana Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

We stayed at the Bay Shores Peninsula hotel for 2 nights in February when we were visiting our son who is a student at UC Irvine. We were able to walk along the beach to the place he is renting in Newport Beach. We would definately come back and stay again. the staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel provides lots of ameneties including free breakfast, free parking and a huge collection of movies that you can borrow from the downstairs lobby. The hotel is old but very well maintained which makes it quaint and cozy. The rooms are small but clean and well stocked You can also hang out on the roof top deck where we watched the sunsets. We were able to walk to the pier and many restaurants which was a real plus since parking is awful in Newport Beach. This hotel is great value for the travel dollar You could spend a lot more money for a room at a fancier hotel in Newport Beach but it isn't necessary.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
8.0 km away
Marriott's Newport Coast Villas
7.7 km away
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 20 in Huntington Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,871 reviews

Been to Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel? Share your experiences!