“Always excellent sushi for locals and tourists alike!”

Bluefin Fine Japanese Cuisine
Reserve with OpenTable
Bluefin Fine Japanese Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #82 of 524 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Price range: US$31 - US$100
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Crystal Heights
Reviewed 1 August 2017

My husband and I frequent Bluefin on an almost bi-weekly basis, living nearby in Newport Beach. This is our favorite sushi restaurant in Orange County, recently surpassing Hamamori at the South Coast Crystal Court mall in Costa Mesa.

This is an expensive Japanese/sushi restaurant...but it's totally worth every penny if you can afford it.

This past Friday, we took my mother here--and my mother isn't fond of sushi. Yet she loved the sushi and cold appetizers here.

Sushi here is almost always super fresh and delicious. The team obviously chooses the fish very carefully.

I love the cold appetizers and sushi. My husband loves the cold appetizers, the soups, the sushi, and the rolls. My mother loved them all, too.

Service for us is always excellent since they know us. But unless it's absolutely packed (which happens in summer over weekends), service is always excellent for everyone in my estimation. Only on very rare instances have we ever had poor service here. This past Friday night, even when packed, our service was fantastic.

We highly recommend Bluefin!

3  Thank Bill R

Reviewed 22 May 2017

Don't know where to start. Ok here we go 1. Service was bad 2. Food was average (for me that is). 3. Shrimp Tempura came right after everybody else ate 4. Waiter place the wrong order to the sushi chef. I ordered Spicy Tuna hand roll and came back tuna was plain and wasn't spicy. Made a comment about it and he told me to dip it in the srirrachi sauce to make it spicy! Wow and not accommodating. I had the Chirashi platter and fish was tasteless and dry. It was not worth the price of $21 or was it $27 which included miso soup and salad. Menu had varieties but too much western food. Very sad place to dine for lunch or dinner. Located in the Crystal Cove Shopping center in a very upscale area. For those who eat sushi quite a bit, I don't recommend going there. Maybe their other locations might be better. Their marque read Bluefin "Fine Japanese Cuisine" not! By way My family members paid for the seven of us and was embarrassed they paid for nothing.

Reviewed 27 January 2017

A tiny extremely popular restaurant. Everything is of highest quality from fish to elaborate dishes. The sushi doesn't disappoint. An outstanding value for the quality of the ingredients and preparation.

2  Thank christine a
Reviewed 16 January 2017 via mobile

Best sushi hands down!
The ballerina roll, spicy tuna, and crunchy rolls were excellent. The rice is flavorful and airy. We also tried the grilled octopus which was really good. Overall great experience, we'll definitely go back and recommend it!

Reviewed 9 November 2016

We had the omakase lunch going to the beach. It was a delightful experience. It was all very good and we loved it. We will certainly come back.