“OK stay - bit disappointing”

Queen's Inn by the River
Ranked #6 of 10 Oakhurst B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 April 2017

I had some great expectations about Queen's Inn by the River, but unfortunately I was a bit disappointed. We booked this accommodation for 2 nights for a visit Yosemite. The welcome was friendly, but I didn't liked the room was a bit disappointing: it was not clean. There were a lot of ants in the bathroom, we hoped the housecleaning would notice, but there was no housecleaning (and because of our visit to Yosemite we were to late to report this to the staff). After one night, the ants expended to the bedroom. You couldn't close the entire curtains / blinds, so the mornings began early. WiFi didn't work in the hotel rooms, you needed to go to the public areas.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank elskex
111Innkeeper, Owner at Queen's Inn by the River, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2017

We are sorry that you experienced ants. Due to the weather we were blessed with more ants than usual this year, and we were in the process of having them exterminated. We appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 24 March 2017

I was really looking forward to wine tasting by the river! My trip was booked a month in advance and there were at least a couple follow-up calls before my stay. It took me a while to find the road to the Inn as the sign was not lit at all. Once I found the entrance, I had to get out of my car and unlock a chain that was blocking the parking lot.

As soon as I parked I was accosted by two loose dogs. My hands were busy carrying luggage and the owner of the dogs seemed to find it amusing. My first interaction with the staff, Nikko, set the tone for the evening. She seemed put-off and spoke to me as if I were an inconvenience.

Once I unloaded my bags, I headed for the winery. There was a group of men outside that gave me quite a greeting...never heard such loud cat-calls. Headed inside for a reprieve, however, I was "greeted" by the same cold, uninterested Nikko, and the same dogs INSIDE the winery. I was then told to go outside as the winery was closing. Shortly after, another woman told me to go to my room as I was "disturbing the guests." Shocked at her accusation, (and that she told me and not the group of 10 cat-calling men AND that it was only 10pm on Saturday night) I told her that I was a guest, but headed to my room anyway.

Upon requesting a cot (1 of several that were reserved for my group) Nikko became surprisingly agitated and denied my requests. I went back to my room and minutes later Nikko stormed in to my room with the other woman! She told me that I needed to leave... at 12pm... after serving me wine (and drinking several glasses herself). I was appalled. The other woman went on about how small her house is and something about a grasshopper. It was the Twilight zone. As a paying customer I have never felt so mistreated. Not only was Nikko acting irrationally, this other woman (who was now standing next to me in my room) was completely non-nonsensical (and neither staff nor guest.....).

I stood there, completely bewildered. I had no desire to stay anywhere near this place ever again and definitely had no interest in being talked to in the manner with which these women spoke. I packed my bags and expressed my severe disappointment with this local establishment that has received such good reviews. I told them that my reviews would reflect my experience...just then both women started apologizing.WHAT?!

I'm still not sure what happened. I don't know how they can treat people the way they did. I have no idea why I was targeted from the moment I entered.

Do not book your stay here. Unless you are a masochist.

I hope this isn't an accurate representation of the beautiful town of Oakhurst.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank 626allison

Dear Looking Forward,
We appreciate feedback, but you did not stay at our inn! Your group was scheduled for a private wine tasting in our winery located on the property that your group NEVER showed up for. Instead, you all showed up at the wine bar just before our closing time of 10 pm and acted quite obnoxious to my staff, whom doesn't drink, by making unreasonable demands. By law, we are not allowed to have 10 loud people to a room over night. It's unfair to our guests that are staying at our inn to have to listen to a group of ten people partying all night long. Room capacity is four people maximum per room, which my staff tried to explain to you. We would never allow ten adults to stay in one room with one king bed.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 15 March 2017

Quiet place to stay, only has 8 rooms with parking outside each. The complimentary breakfast is adequate and the free wine tasting a bonus. The rooms can get a little cool, but has a fireplace to warm it up. No drawers to put anything and no coffee maker in the rooms. Main downside is no wifi in the rooms only available in the breakfast room/ office. But great for access to Yosemite, around 30 minutes to park entrance

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Diane,

Thank you for your feedback. Wifi is a problem for us. The adobe walls make it difficult for the wifi to penetrate, and is a work in progress. Due to coffee stains on the carpet from coffee catastophes, we offer hot coffee from the Mariposa Coffee Company in the lodge, along with a large variety of continental breakfast food.
Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Reviewed 2 November 2016

The service was friendly and casual and welcoming. The hotel is located away from the Main Street right along a small stream. Have viewed deer and heron on the grounds. The room was large yet cozy with working fireplace and each room has their own private patio overlooking that stream. I suppose the bathrooms could stand an update, but every time time we come we notice improvement from the previous visit. 13 miles from the south entrance of Yosemite makes it very convenient. Complimentary wine tasting on site. Locals visit this wine bar as well. Live music on some nights. Complimentary breakfast. Delicious. The town of Oakhurst is not large, but several restaurants to suit your mood. We made the mistake of staying elsewhere (only because "the Queen" was booked solid) and will never make that mistake again. We will continue to return as long as we continue to revisit Yosemite.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Debra,

Thank you so much for the feedback. We look forward to seeing you in the future!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 30 October 2016

We stayed at Queen's Inn in late Sept, mid-week. Unfortunate for us, they hosted a rock band from 5pm until 9:30pm, just 20 yards from our room. We were unable to sleep, even though we had to get up early the next day.

A request for reduced fee (we'd pre-paid 2 months earlier, and couldn't dispute the credit card charge). was ignored.

I'm sorry that we reserved a room and stayed at this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Jim,

We have music on Saturday evenings during the summer. We are sorry that the music was disturbing to you. We welcome our guests to come hang out in the wine bar and enjoy wine or beer under the stars. Our music will now be listed on our website and Facebook so that guests can see what events are taking place on the property.
Thank you for the feedback!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakhurst
1.3 km away
Sierra Sky Ranch
#5 of 10 in Oakhurst
14.1 km away
Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite

Been to Queen's Inn by the River? Share your experiences!