“My all-time favorite brunch spot”
Review of Mama's Royal Cafe

Mama's Royal Cafe
Ranked #138 of 1,353 Restaurants in Oakland
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 7 November 2017

I am a former, long-time Oakland-area resident, now living elsewhere. The Royal Cafe serves the best omelets, benedicts, potatoes, sides, and other breakfast/brunch delights, plus a terrific cup of strong coffee. I've lived in various places in the US, and I have never found a better place for breakfast or brunch. Sunday mornings were a ritual when my kids were very young: we'd wait out there for as long as it took to get a table -- and we NEVER do that anywhere else. It's funky, but it's great! I'd kill for a place that is half as good. In a word: Go!

Reviewed 27 April 2017 via mobile

I've been coming here for almost 20 years. I have a lot of affection for this place, but today, they just weren't tuned in. The food is still good, but the restaurant is not clean (it never has been, actually) and the staff walk around like zombies. The waitress took my drink order, but not my husbands. I left my table and went up front to order tea for him. Then we had to re-ask for his tea three times before it came.

I asked for grilled tomatoes, they came fresh. Not a big deal. Also no spoon came with my latte so I used my knife to stir in the sugar. Also not a big deal. There were many little things like this that, while no big deal, it's kinda too bad.

But... it's still a cool place to come for breakfast. It's in the neighborhood and well, we'll probably be back, just not as often.

Oh, and my husband had to go to the counter to pay. Our check never came. Oh well!

Reviewed 13 February 2017

and get there early, this place fills up on weekends especially. copious amounts of cheese and lot's of vegetarian options

Reviewed 18 January 2017 via mobile

Been coming to Mama's since the '80s. Need I say more? Uniquely Oakland with good food, friendly staff (mostly) ands long waits on Saturday and Sunday.

Reviewed 4 September 2016

The breakfast at Mama's is very good, with a nice variety and an option for every palette and mood. The portions are of a good size and the food of good quality. The staff are friendly and attentive and frequently check to ensure that you have all you need and offer top ups of coffee and/or water. It's a good place for breakfast/brunch and I certainly would visit again. The prices are a little on the high side.