“Yummy food - could use some warmth in service”
Review of Xyclo

Xyclo
Ranked #123 of 1,439 Restaurants in Oakland
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 November 2017

I treated a friend to lunch here, as she loves Vietnamese food and had not tried this place. The lunch specials are well priced. We started with a shared appetizer (7 wonders), which is a lovely lettuce wrap. It is missing a key ingredient - cilantro, but otherwise fine. We also each had an entree - she had the chicken coconut curry and I had the veggie stir fry. The food was above average - and I liked that it was easy to satisfy food sensitivities (everything was clearly marked Vegan and/or "can be prepared gluten free" on the menu).

The service was a bit odd. We were one of only two tables filled when we began and were not given a very warm welcome, but seated quickly. Our first server did not speak to us - just handed us a menu. He came back and we ordered an appetizer and drinks. The 2nd server came and asked if we wanted to order within seconds. We told her we ordered appetizers and were thinking about entrees.

They were persistent in getting our lunch order (coming over several times before our appetizer arrived). When I asked for a refill on ice tea, I was told it would cost $1. Again, odd. The ice tea was not particularly good, but O.K. I asked if I could get chicken instead of tofu in the stir fry and with a very unhappy face, the server stated: "we don't substitute." OK. All fine, just a little smile would be nice.

Still all together the price was very good for 2 entrees, a shared appetizer and non-alcoholic drinks at less than $40 before tax and tip. It would just be nice to have a little smile or warmth or a free refill.

Date of visit: November 2017

Reviewed 3 October 2017

I used to go to Tu Lan on 6th St. in SF regularly for the best bun ever. I've been longing for it for some years now and finally found a dish that compares favorably to what they served at Tu Lan. Plus the restaurant is very nice, service is great and the rest of the menu looks good. However, I don't how how I'll ever be able to go there and not order my combination bun. Try it, you'll like it.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 1 March 2017

I always get the same thing when I go there, the Ca Kho, which is Vietnamese caramelized & braised fish. It has vegetables cooked in with it and rice on the side, your choice of brown or white. Delicious!

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed 3 January 2017

This is our go-to place on Piedmont Avenue, especially after the movies. Food is always very, very good. Atmosphere is minimalist neighborhood bistro. Service is OK, but friendly. Very popular spot. We've been many times and will be back.

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed 31 October 2016 via mobile

We went while visiting family in the neighborhood. Parking in this area can be very challenging. Our server was very helpful while ordering. She even offered to make something on the menu vegan for one of our party. When delivering the food she demonstrated how to eat one dish that was served in a coconut.

The food was very good and it was a great evening.

Date of visit: October 2016

Been to Xyclo? Share your experiences!