“Wonderful early dinner”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 15 December 2016

We stopped in her for an early dinner following an afternoon movie. Reservations are HIGHLY recommended for dinner as this is a fairly small place. However, due to the unfashionable time we chose, we were able to get a table.

The Soup du Jour, a fabulous creamy cauliflower offering, was good enough to earn accolades from a someone who doesn't especially like that vegetable. The chicken liver pate that we selected for the table was excellent in my opinion, but did not earn unanimous approval.

The restaurant is well known for moules, that is, mussels steamed in a flavorful broth. That was the majority choice. I tried a cassoulet. Both dishes owed much classic French cuisine, but were clearly a California version. The moules came with smoked ham in the broth, for example, while the cassoulet was far healthier than the original.

This is definitely one of the best examples of California fusion in the area, with service that is hard to beat.

Reviewed 13 December 2016

I can't believe we had not discovered this lovely Bistro before this. By accident I found Michel Bistro on line, and invited another couple to join us for dinner a week ago. Everyone loved their meal, and we were so impressed we returned for Sunday Brunch. The atmosphere is average, but the food and service are fantastic. Be prepared that some dishes may arrive with a twist from the usual preparation, but that added to the enjoyment of our dining. Every course has been well above average. When you arrive, if you are fortunate, you will be greeted by Julie. One of my all time favorite greeters/host.

Reviewed 3 December 2016

We enjoyed our dinner at Michel Bistro. Definitely get the octopus -- it's delicious! We ordered it because the people sitting at the next table were raving about it. And we're glad we ordered it as well. Octopus. Get it.

Reviewed 8 November 2016

We came here on a Saturday night soon after Michel received a Bouche Gourmand award from Michelin. Service started out slow - it took a while to get our order taken and some more time to get bread on the table - and got worse. The charred carrots I had as an appetizer were very good and my husband was happy with his kale salad. Then we waited, and waited, with the waiter clearly avoiding us. Finally he came over and apologized for the delay without an explanation. He returned with complementary glasses of wine for us, a nice gesture but not appropriate, since two of us don't drink (he could have asked...). Finally our orders came. My mussels with pumpkin and ham came and were delicious, as was my daughter's dorade with seafood. The noise level was so high that we had to almost touch foreheads across the table to hear each other. Why is it so difficult to find an affordable quiet restaurant with great food? I'm not planning to return.

Reviewed 12 September 2016

We had a very nice dinner of: Charcuterie plate, tomato salad,steelhead trout, and creme brulee and chocolate-lime tart. Our service was prompt and friendly and the atmosphere
was lively and pleasant. I would return.