“Italian lunch on Sunny Patio”
Review of Union Hotel

Union Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Occidental
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 12 August 2017

This July my husband and our friend and I had the pleasure of dining at the Union Hotel in Occidental. We arrived around noon and were seated outside on an arbor-covered patio with plenty of tables to choose from. Our hostess advised us which table would stay partially shady and we picked that one.
Warm french bread soon arrived, along with cruets of olive oil and vinegar and a cold pitcher of water. Our wine came soon after, and we all decided to order healthy salads for lunch. These are served with a tureen of minestrone soup and a plate of antipasto to share. The soup had large chunks of zucchini and generous portions of tomatoes, spinach and beans.
I ordered the organic salad with carrots, tomatoes and red onions. My husband got the Caesar salad with a side of marinated chicken breast. Our friend ordered the spinach salad that comes with bacon, eggs, red onions,caramelized walnuts, Gorgonzola cheese, tomatoes and sliced pears. (I will definitely order that one next time). Our food was fresh and delicious and tasted homemade, especially the soup and croutons.
We sat there for a good hour and never felt rushed. It was a fairly quiet time of day and the patio setting was so peaceful.
Afterwards we walked around inside the hotel, looking at the old family portraits on the walls near where a few patrons were already having a drink in the old tavern.
Both my friend and I were brought here with our families when we were very young and wanted to return again. It did not disappoint. We only wish that our parents were with us that day to enjoy another wonderful meal together.

Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

Right I the middle of this beautiful tiny town are two very similar family-style restaurants. We've tried them both. Most recently we ate at the Union Hotel. It gets my vote for being a tad bit better than Negris. Although it's a close comparison. (We enjoyed Negris too). The entrance is on the right side of the hotel.
The servings are VERY generous! Meals come with fresh baked bread, fabulous Minestrone soup, a green salad (very fresh)' salami and cheese. By the time my entree came, I needed a to-go box. The pizza looked good too.
Very casual. Family style. Our family of 5 had a tureen of soup placed in front of us. When we polished that off, they offered to refill it.
Allow at least an hour....maybe more, depending on your preference. My lasagna was quite tasty.

1  Thank MaryC80
Reviewed 23 July 2017

My husband and I and two friends stayed in Occidental for the first time. We ate at Union Hotel on two different occasions and had a wonderful experience both evenings. The staff is amazing and the food was delicious. My husband and I also sampled the bakery selection one morning and the bran muffin was the best I have ever eaten. I cannot say enough positive remarks about this restaurant. We felt like family when we left and would definetily come back if we are in the area again. Thank you for a wonderful experience.

1  Thank DmB62017
Reviewed 20 July 2017

Met lots of friendly people at Union Hotel Restaurant/Bar. The bartender's are the BEST! Good Food and great service! This was on Bohemian HWY across the street from the Occidental Hotel.Also LOVED Farmers Market.

Reviewed 20 July 2017

The same family has owned this restaurant and bar for decades. The food is consistently good. If it is not too warm, eating out on the patio is delightful. The staff is exceptionally friendly.