“Better than average Chinese Buffet”

China Star Super Buffet
Ranked #151 of 410 Restaurants in Oceanside
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 18 April 2016

Going to Chinese buffets is really hit-and-miss. This one is reasonably priced and has a good selection of items for the dinner buffet.

2  Thank Otto K

Reviewed 23 February 2016 via mobile

I have visited many Chinese Buffet's in my life time and I can honestly say that this is not the best I have ever been to. It is a small restaurant with less selection than most other buffet's. I was however impressed with what was offered on the bars. For the money this is a nice place to sit down and have a meal the inside of this restaurant is very clean and with an A health inspection sitting in the widow of the front entrance it makes it even more inviting.. Give it a try..

1  Thank jabii1969
Reviewed 26 October 2015

I walked here from Oceans Eleven Casino around the corner. Doesn't look like much on the inside, but once you get in, wow! Three nice buffet islands, fast seating, great variety, and continuous fresh food coming out of the kitchen. Place is very spacious, so always a lot of room even when busy. The service is great, and the staff is always smiling. Great price too!

1  Thank KMartinGardner
Reviewed 16 April 2015

We went here due to the numerous raving reviews. However we were greatly disappointed. Most of the food on the buffet was cold. Many of the food items had little taste- to include the soups and crab legs. My Asian mother was also very disappointed in the lack of flavor and variety at this buffet. The sushi selection was ODD to say the least- we have NEVER seen folded up cheese slices placed into a sushi roll. They did not even have the basic California or veggie roll as a selection. We have been to many Chinese buffets around the U.S. and this one rates pretty low.

1  Thank NSimp75
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I am very familiar with this restaurant as I have been there nearly every Sunday afternoon with my baby. It is a very popular place on Sunday afternoons with the ethnically diverse after-church crowds, large families, and lots of people with huge appetites (bigger than mine- and that's saying something). The parking gets a little tricky at times, but there has rarely been an occasion where I've not been able to find a place.

The visual appeal is that it isn't anything elaborate. it is clean, well lit and has lots of sitting room. With a salad bar, sushi bar, fresh fruit and dessert bar, soft serve ice cream, and two bars with fairly typical hot selections. Despite a majority of their dishes being the same as they are on other buffets, they are still good tasting and satisfying variety-wise. Additionally, there are some things that this restaurant did right that just kept bringing me back to this fun, casual (sometimes loud) establishment.

Snow crab legs are always available on the weekends. They are in a generously deep pan (not one of those ridiculously shallow ones - give me a break!) and when they start getting low, they waste no time in refreshing the supply. They are sincere when they say their buffet is all-you- can-eat. They don't gripe when people take a lot of crab legs or hold the crustaceans hostage in the kitchen.

This restaurant gets the concept that patrons pay more for dinner on weekends to have foods like this- and they know that not EVERYONE is going to eat crab. They still make their money without stringing you along. I've yet to visit a Chinese buffet in PA where they "get this" and it is aggravating. I guarantee you that China Star enjoys more repeat visits because of this one great thing they do!

While it can be difficult to get the server to understand everything you ask due to language barriers,, I had little trouble. I've found the wait staff to be very attentive to keeping drinks filled and tables cleared of dishes. One male server there, John- is a credit to the business. He prides himself on trying to familiarize himself with regular customers and their preferences, and always has a cheery "hello ma'am" or "hello sir" for you. Personal touches like this make a difference. We're going to miss him since we moved to Harrisburg, PA! (Maybe he'll get a raise :-P).

As there is always room for improvement, there are some things that personally I felt detracted from the experience. First, there is a cart that transports the dishes, and when it rolls across the tiles, it makes a god-awful clatter. Thankfully it doesn't roll too often. Second is something that I struggle with in most Chinese buffets - the napkins. It is really annoying trying to wipe your hands and mouth on something so thin that it disintegrates like layers of bath tissue. Finally, While they seem to do a pretty good job of keeping the restroom clean, there is only one stall and a urinal. It seems with the traffic they get, it would be in their best interest to expand a bit.

In summary, I never batted an eye at forking over $27.41 (plus tip) for me and my baby to enjoy a truly all-you-can-eat, good tasting Chinese buffet and sodas. I've been to the two other Chinese buffets in the immediate Oceanside/Vista/Carlsbad area more than once, and China Star Super Buffet is the cream of the three that rises to the top. I would definitely go back there again, and I hope others enjoy it as much as I did.

3  Thank Crabman4Life