“Beautiful Trip”
Review of The Oaks at Ojai

The Oaks at Ojai
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Ojai
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Excellent location, food was surprisingly good, lots of healthy choices and suggestions including a cooking demonstration with recipes. All excercise classes and walks included were wonderful. Staff is very informative and helpful.
Robyn Camarillo in the pool was awesome, Maura lead a morning stroll and some of the yoga classes and she is fantastic.
I will go back for sure.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Tiflalawi-Adventures

Reviewed 2 May 2011

From the moment you arrive and you are "welcomed back" (with a 60+ return rate, trust me, you’ll be back!) it feels like home, with a healthy twist... the food is outstanding, Christine the spa chef is a miracle worker with local, healthy ingredients. She is also very accessable with her weekly demonstrations. My experience was shared with many other solo travelers and made for an easy "fit right in" feeling. So many classes to choose from, but dont miss either the brisk walk or morning strength class with Sheila Cluff (founder, owner and spa visionary) she is a tiny dinamo in her 70's with more energy than most half her age... and she shares her many insights and fitness wisdom openly and enthusiastically. LOVE LOVE LOVE The Oaks! Oh and the spa treatments rocked too! : )

Room Tip: the casitas are recently remodeled and lovely!
1  Thank marjawalker
Reviewed 27 April 2011

I went to the Oaks specifically for weight loss and wanted a place that would control the diet and give me a kick start to a "new me." The Oaks more than met my goals. I left 5 lbs lighter and have continued with their program (and portion sizes) and have lost 5 more! The food was very nice and nicely served and despite a 1200 calorie day (more or less), I never felt hungry. The exercise classes, walks and hikes seemed tailored to my age group (60 and over) and the teachers represented all ages. It was terrific to be with teachers my age who were so fit and helpful. It's true that the rooms in the lodge need upgrading; the rugs were not great. But my room had a balcony, a little desk and a nice chair and the bed was quite comfortable. They had a TV in each room and WIFI so even though the evening events were so-so, I was fine. The people were friendly and open and the employees were helpful. I noticed that most of the guests were "regulars" and I'm ready to be one as well!

Room Tip: I was only there once! Room in Lodge was fine.
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I really enjoyed my 4 night and five day stay at the Oaks. While I have stayed at many resorts with spas (Four Seasons Maui, The Fontana at The Abbey, some place in Malta, etc.), this was my first visit to a destination spa. My purpose in going was to continue to increase my fitness and continue to lose weight. At the beginning of the year (2011), I was veering into the overweight category- 5' 5"-148 pounds-I am medium build and a African-American/mesomorph-so I did not look toooo bad. However, in college and most of my twenties and early thirties I weighed around 120-130. 130 would be an excellent weight for me in my mid-thirties. That being said, at the Oaks, I participated in most of the classes (yoga, pilates mat, stretching, water strengthening , Zumba, walks, and hikes. Every day I did about 4-5 classes, and I ate all of the meals. The meals were delicious and I never felt hungry. My favorite dishes were the chocolate mousse, the pita pizza, the Angel hair pasta, the the cranberry/apple crisp. I also looooved the muffins they gave for breakfast. I stocked up on these so that I could eat these as snacks throughout the day.

In addition to the fitness and meals, I pampered myself with two massages, and a mani-pedi. I am still enjoying my Easter egg purple/lilac finger and toenails.

To conclude, all of the staff were friendly and kind, and I met a lot of interesting and fun people! WARNING-I will add that if you just want luxury and pampering, this is not the place for you. I wanted to take my mother back for the mother-daughter week, but she at age 64 is too used to the Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, Grand Lido in Jamaica, the Half Moon resort in Jamaica, and similar locales. She also hates to exercise, loves wine, and is not above getting three massages and several facials over a period of two days. I was disappointed that my mother will not return with me to the Oaks, but I will treat her with spa certificates or a stay at The Abbey. If you are like my mother-DO NOT go to the Oaks. Thus, the Ojai Valley Inn across the road would be better for her and maybe for you. As for me-I am 135 and still loosing. I will carry some of the dietary restrictions and advice from the Oaks, and beef up my fitness routine at home.

Additional Kudos!! There was a problem with myself and my roomate's' room the second night! They moved us to a cottage for the remaining three nights! Thank you!

2  Thank JonesieChicago
Reviewed 22 March 2011

SpaFinder had billed this place as a great deal for a destination spa. I wish I'd read more of the reviews here. If you are a woman over 55 with health issues and a limited workout routine, or someone with serious self-discipline issues, or if you are afraid to travel alone, then this environment might suit you. But it is an extremely poor value and your money could be better spent elsewhere.

I'm a woman aged 50 in very good shape who was looking for a low-key facility with solid equipment, good classes, and decent food. In a shared room, the fee was about $250 a night including unspecified fees and taxes. On the Internet when I reserved, they made it seem like the price for a week was $1350, but with additional costs it was closer to $1700. There are numerous spa facilities where you can go that charge far less and have better facilities. I could have had my own room in a luxury hotel and paid less with some savvy checking on the internet.

The food was - in a word - miserable. It seemed good by Day 2 because I was starving. New concepts and ideas have not been woven into their menu and most of their food is based on outdated concepts. I saw several people who should have limited their serving size having too much food and animal fats and carbs were not restricted.

But the worst for me was the breakfast...I LOVE breakfast...but not at the Oaks. They served oatmeal contaminated with raisans and apples and I love mine straight up. It was the same food every morning - cold hardboiled eggs...runny plain yogurt...one choice of fresh fruit...wierd muffins (often likewise contaminated with raisins). I could have fed everyone in the group each morning for less than $1 a head based on what we got. There was no attempt to serve us egg white omelets or even WHEAT TOAST or anything that I embrace as part of a well-rounded diet. I was burning fat on long hard hikes and getting nothing in the morning except tasteless awfulness.

As for the living arrangements...I am not picky but this place is a ONE on a scale of ONE TO TEN. I have lived in third world countries with better hotel accomodations. If you want to charge people $500 a night for a room and minimal food, then the room had better be decent. I opted to share so that I could spend less, and because I've shared in numerous plans elsewhere - but these folks made ZERO attempts to ensure the compatability of those sharing, and even when they had extra space, they had people share who were overtly uncompatible. Don't put obese people in the same room with fit people - one has sleep apnea and one does not - get the picture?

The room itself made my group beach houses seem like the Ritz. Nasty, small, dingy, stains everywhere, mildew. Yuk.

I left after 4 nights when I had planned to stay 7, and had the last two days refunded and didn't fight - just packed and left. I was able to take my two days savings and have a wonderful time. But if I didn't have the rental car, I would have been in a world of hurt. There were plenty of wonderful plces to stay nearby.

As for the equipment. the pool was great. The steam room smelled consistently of mold and mildew. The exercise equipment needs serious updates. But the hikes were wonderful. Also, they are on a bike trail but can't be bothered to have bikes available for their guests, so I went off the premises and rented one for a day. The ride to and from Ventura is SWEET and well worth the trip.

And about the treatments - middle of the road at best. Not even close to a really great massage.

Two years ago, I went to a place called the Westward Look Hotel in Arizona and had a much better deal, accomodations and facilities for about half the price. Check the internet and find good deals in the region and consider your options. You can stay on a cruise ship and do well if you don't over-eat. Ten years ago I stayed at the Safety Harbor Spa near Tampa and had a better deal. The Oaks just isn't a good value.

Solo traveling is not for the faint of heart - and it is rotten that some people take advantage of the fear that women have of traveling alone. That's really what the Oaks is about. I met the owner and her story was inspiring but what she really needs to do is hire someone with internet savvy and a thorough understanding of modern techniques. The next generation will not return to the Oaks the way it is now. My advice is to end the room share program if you can't take even minor steps to ensure compatability. And for crying out loud - serve wheat toast and some sugar-free Smuckers jam in the morning, and let people add their own ingredients to the oatmeal. And while Shredded Wheat is alright, think about some variety.

Invest in new ideas, hire some new talent and bring this place into the 21st century. You folks own the property and your overhead can't be that much. Spend a little more to make your guests comfortable. There will be more profit to be had with minor changes - but you need to want to change,

Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
12  Thank Matollygirl
Management response:Responded 23 March 2011

The Oaks at Ojai is a unique property - and over the past 30+ years of service, we have definitely been a mis-match for a few travelers. Amongst Destination Spas, we're one of the few that still offer a money saving option of sharing a room - in addition to our deluxe private accommodations. Our budget minded guests appreciate this option - and the stories of wonderful friendships developed as roommates are overwhelming. It's quite unlikely that we'd ever survey our guests about their weight before assigning them a roommie! With over 50% of our clients being repeat visitors, our warm, relaxed and casual atmosphere does work - for many! "Summer camp for adults" is often used to describe us.

There are more types of spa vacations than ever before. Our annual awards for Best Spa Cuisine, Best for Traveling Solo, and Best Most Affordable Destination Spa are a great way of bragging that we're good at what we do.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojai
1.5 km away
Ojai Valley Inn
#1 of 5 in Ojai
0.6 km away
Emerald Iguana Inn

Been to The Oaks at Ojai? Share your experiences!