“Overrated”

El Taco de Mexico
Ranked #70 of 324 Restaurants in Oxnard
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 31 August 2016 via mobile

This used to be the "go to"'place about 20 years ago. Oxnard has so much better food now. And Tdm needs to know they have competition. There breakfast is good especially their frijoles and papas. And love their horchata. But the meat is so dry and tasteless it's not even grilled it's more like steamed. And if you go in the morning the food is last nights leftovers . And the place it's self is a dump! Just because it's not the best part of town doesn't mean the inside needs to look like a dump. After all these years the owners don't have money to remodel?

Reviewed 30 November 2015 via mobile

Pretty well known by locals. Open late. Very reasonable prices. Tacos, burritos, and some other usual suspects. Burritos were excellent.

Reviewed 7 January 2015

I will only buy take out. Equal to the popular mobil catering trucks which can be seen in most Hispanic areas now a days. limited English speaking, but they try to understand what you want to order. Once upon a time many moons ago, this is what you would only get from a food street vendor cart.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

That's what locals call it. When I lived in the area for a few years, this was one of the recommended places to eat at. I would make beelines here during lunch to buy food. Just recently, got the chance to go back, so I had to get me a torta again. While I took it to go, it was bomb to eat, even better than the recent torta that I had at King Torta in LA. I know that if I eat this too much, it won't be good for me, so I savored this one. The dude that worked there was cool and hooked up a special chicken taco for me, as I mentioned that I hadn't been there in awhile.

I wish I tried the other TDMs in the area, but this one has never let me down.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

This is the go to spot for me and my workers when we have a craving for Taco's or burritos, these are authentic. The staff here do speak enough English for a non Spanish speaking person to order, Love the Asada Meat, We only get take out so the ambiance or any lack of there is not important it's the taste and quality which is what we want. Tried the other locations different owners and they do not meet this place on 5th street and Meta as to the taste.

Been to El Taco de Mexico? Share your experiences!