“LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!”

Bide-A-Wee-Inn & Cottages
Reviewed 9 September 2017

This adorable Inn in perched up one block from the beautiful Monterey coast line! The rooms are outdated but definitely fits the vibe of the location. Staff was very accommodating! Upon arrival I asked for suggestions on a good place for dinner that wouldn't be too touristy and Alex recommended that my husband and I try the Fishwife restaurant, which is located just down the street from the Inn. We love the idea of not having to travel through unknown streets to get to the restaurant. Fishwife has delicious food and drinks! We enjoyed our stay so much that we have already booked another stay for November!

Stayed: August 2017

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

We decided to travel to Monterey and San Francisco over Labor Day Weekend to escape the heat, but both locations were experiencing abnormal temperatures in the 100s. Unfortunately this quaint little motel does not have air conditioning or ceiling fans in their rooms and bungalows and they keep their outside lights on all night. So even if we opened the door and window (which we did) at night to cool our room down, the lights kept us awake. I would recommend that that this establishment install ceiling fans.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2017

I read the reviews before I went, so paid particular attention to the attitude and helpfulness of the staff. I had no problems at all with the two I encountered -- they were courteous and helpful. The lawns were great for our small dog who could run around (plus easy access for middle-of-the-night), and it's just a short walk to Asilomar beach. Not cheap, but that's the going rate for the area. Some of the furnishings were dated, but the kitchen came with utensils and some dishes. All in all, it worked out very well.

Room Tip: The king room with the pull-out couch plus a roll-away bed still left space to move around.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank RiverRaftingMom
Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

My partner and I have been coming for years to this venue. It's quaint and lovely.

However, this time we encountered cranky staff. Very unfriendly. People come to Pacific grove for vacations. Smiles are nice to encounter when you check in.

Also, we wanted to stay more than one night and found a good price through TripAdvisor. We called to see if the hotel would honor it and save the 10% booking fee They have to pay. They were not interested in talking to us at all. Odd.

Upon checkout we asked if there had been a change of ownership and the long behold the hotel had been sold in the last two months.

Sad development. We have found a new hotel to stay at. I really don't like to encounter cranky people.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Bclinton60
Reviewed 30 June 2017

On May 16, 2017 I spoke to a nice gentleman when booking a room (for July 6 to 8) with two queen beds for my family of four. Less than an hour later he called and apologized, stating that he was mistaken and only a room with a king bed was available and that he could provide a complimentary roll-a-away to accommodate my family. He stated that the room was large enough to comfortably fit all of us. It was slightly more in price but I agreed to it anyways. On June 29 I decided to send an email to confirm my booking and the roll-a-away as our trip was a week away. An email was sent to me at 8:50PM that night from the manager. This was the email: "We do offer roll-a-ways but we charge $25/night plus TAX for them.I am not sure who you spoke to that told you that we offer complimentary roll-a-ways.
Thank you.
Manager."
There was no greeting in the email such as "Dear Mrs" or "Attention so and so". Also, the so-called manager doesn't even put his name down. Then I get a call at 9:26PM from this manager. He never stated his name. He went right into stating that the roll-a-aways are not complimentary and also stating that my room could not accommodate four people and only 3 so could not stay in that room. He said the person who I booked with initially no longer worked at the place and not only that all staff is new as the hotel is now under new ownership. He said he was the new manager. At this point I was very confused and upset as my trip was a week away and I had no time to book anything. I asked him what my options were. He said he had the room with two queen beds (which I initially wanted but was not available), but it would cost extra. At this point, close to 10PM, I felt I had no choice but to pay extra for that other room since he kept emphasizing to me that there was no way our family of four could fit into a room with a king bed and a roll-a-away. BTW, we have 2 young children and we have fit into a room with a king bed and roll-a-away at other hotels. I asked him what if I had not sent an email to confirm my booking ahead of time. What would have happened if I arrived that day on July 6 to check in? He stated that he would tell us we couldn't have our room because it fit only three and we have four in our family. We would have to pay more for a bigger room or find another hotel. He was going to put us in that situation on the day we arrived!! That is terrible service, and not to mention a mean spirited person! This new ownership/management is off to a bad start if this is the manner in which they handle customer interactions. When they took over after my initial booking they must have raised their rates as well because they quoted price for the 2 bedroom was lower than the price he quoted me at 9:26PM. Or maybe he knew I had no option but to go with that room since my trip was a week away and purposely charged me a much higher rate. I lost sleep that night stressing over my trip and the next morning immediately went to work trying to find a place that could fit my family. Luckily I spoke to a really nice lady at Deer Haven Inn and she fit us in. After booking at the new hotel I called the manager at Bide-A-Wee to cancel my reservation and express my feelings. Again, he didn't offer his name nor offer any type of apology to the situation. My advice to you Mr. Manager: if this is the career path bestowed onto you then you need to learn to be more personable, kind, empathetic, and understanding. And for Heaven's sake...introduce yourself!!!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family