“Helpful for a fussy eating Grandson!”

Los Pepes Mexican Grill
Ranked #87 of 280 Restaurants in Palm Desert
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 September 2017

Generous and tasty (if somewhat under spiced) portions). Uber helpful staff. Went out of their way to create a fruit dish for our 15 month old grandson. Cozy atmosphere.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

Food is delicious, authentic Mexican. Generous portions, fresh food, polite and attentive staff. Quiet place with ambience where I just celebrated my birthday. Discounts this summer.

Reviewed 17 August 2017

Los Pepes is a relatively small family-owned Mexican restaurant with truly good service and very fine food. Don't expect any new and unique discovery of a previously unknown Mexican dish - all the menu offerings can be found in just about any "standard" Mexican food themed restaurant. What does stand out is the serving sizes which do not overflow the plates and are perfect for filling up on without feeling too bloated to move after dining. The food is obviously also fresh and not overly laden with salt. If you're looking for anything exceptionally hot and/or spicy you'll most likely be disappointed. All the items I've sampled have been very tasty and flavorful, but lacking in heat. Possibly because this area caters to such a large senior population the chef deliberately chose to not push the envelope with any super-hot chiles or spices, and that's a choice I can respect. I'll take quality flavor over heartburn and a scorched mouth any time. It may also be possible to request extra "heat" for your dish if that's what you're after, but I didn't examine that option. The items I have tried include the Gazpacho soup, the Sopa de Albondigas (meatball) soup, Chile Colorado Burrito, Enchiladas Rancheras (chicken) combo, house special Carnitas, and their Fajita combo (beef, chicken and shrimp). If you're getting a combo plate you can choose between either refried beans or black beans, and you won't go wrong with either choice. Haven't tried any of the fish or shrimp dishes, but looking forward to them in the future.
The decor is standard Mexican, with both booth and table seating. Looks like it would accommodate anywhere from 50 to 60 people.
The wait staff is also exceptionally well trained and polite. Orders are taken quickly and they return on a regular basis to check on drinks or if anything else is needed without being obsequious or helicoptering.
Prices are typical of the area; not cheap fast-food prices, but not excessively high either. For dinner we typically average $20-25 per person for a full meal plus a drink. Not bad at all for a fully satisfying meal and quality service.

Reviewed 26 July 2017

It's a smaller restaurant but offers big flavors. Good menu and authentic fare. The bar has only a few seats, so not much of a bar scene, but the maggies are hand crafted and good. Beer is always cold and the service is always with a smile.

Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

Los Pepes recently advertised on local TV, so I thought I'd give it a try and hoped it would be really good. Unfortunately in my estimation it wasn't. First, the Mexican decor is very nice and the waitress who took my order was very accommodating and helpful. I ordered a strawberry margarita, and a taco and enchilada with rice and beans. It came with the usual chips and salsa. The salsa tasted mediocre and definitely out of a can or jar, not house made. I ordered the frijoles del dia and they were fresh and excellent. Not so the rice, which was dry and tasteless. The taco was quite small, but was okay. The cheese enchilada was not too tasty and also was very small. The price was quite reasonable, especially with a senior discount which I didn't even ask for. The margarita needed more time in the liquifier, because lots of the ice was still too large to get through the straw. I love Mexican food and wanted Los Pepes to be at least good, if not great. I want to give it another try and I will. I think the cook just needs a little encouragement to make some improvements and corrections that are really rather simple and easy to make. It's one thing to advertise to get new customers, but it takes good food to get them to return and become regulars. I'd love to be a regular, and I'm hoping my next visit will indicate that the owner wants also to see me again and again. In a couple of weeks I'll be there again and I hope I'll be able to improve my rating.