“Best oysters and prime rib”

Sundance The Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Sundance The Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 387 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Stanford Ave.
Description: Since its opening in 1974, prime steaks and martinis have never gone out of style at this Palo Alto institution. The atmosphere is very clubby with fireplaces, dark wood, sports memorabilia and plush leather booths tucked into the many nooks throughout the dining room. Famous for their slow-roasted prime rib & hand-cut U.S.D.A Prime Steaks, they also offer fresh seafood, cold water lobster tail & succulent shellfish. The 23 oz. Bone-In Rib eye Steak is the "Boss' Favorite" while the Double Cut Filet Mignon runs a close second. Sundance is respected for serving the best food money can buy coupled with value & simplicity – a welcome relief for serious food & steak aficionados. The menu is supported by an award-winning wine list that features over 400 selections focusing on highly allocated Napa Valley Cabernets & Sonoma Pinot Noirs. Exceptional ratings & numerous restaurant awards rank Sundance the Steakhouse as a true dining destination.
Reviewed 18 May 2017 via mobile

Many steak houses sell everything ala carte which drives up the bill. The meals here include lovely sides.

1  Thank CynthiaR1229

Reviewed 14 May 2017

I walked into the restaurant without a reservation and was seated at the bar. Staff were polite and efficient.

The barman was able to discuss food options. I ordered a slow roasted prime rib.

The meal arrived and tasted like something that was in a slow cooker all day, not food you would expect in the Sundance Steakhouse.

The barman could see I was not thrilled with the meal and offered to change it. The level of professional courtesy was appreciated but I decided not to accept the offer and finish the meal I ordered. The point is food lacked seasoning and was very fatty.

This was not a meal I expected at the Sundance having dined there before and had a great experience.

Reviewed 13 May 2017

This place was better than a chain steak joint but it was far from great. The service was better than the food and we will likely go back when in Palo Alto because we can't find anything better.

Reviewed 5 May 2017 via mobile

We went here on the last night of our road trip cause our friends who live close by had discovered this place a week before!

They said the steak and seafood were superb and they were not wrong!

I had a kobe rib eye that was cooked medium rare and to perfection with a fully
Loaded skin and veg and it was all superb

My wife had a seafood dish and creamed spinach that was also very very good

The wine (chosen by my friend) was a top cab Sauvignon from a local vineyard and it was another superb Cab Sav - one of many we had on our trip! I think it was called DuckHorn if you want to try it!!

The food isn't cheap but value wise it's great... great ambience, service and food give this a 5/5

I would 100% go back

Reviewed 28 April 2017 via mobile

Good wine, nice food and the staff!
I had the New York strip and it was just amazing! Nicely done with a very good side!