“Consistently good”

Gale's Italian Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Gale's Italian Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 747 Restaurants in Pasadena
Price range: US$9 - US$25
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: California
Transit: We are very close tothe Del Mar Station for the Metrolink. We are about 3 blocks away.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We’ve been here a few times now, and really enjoyed every visit. I like that there is a page of daily specials, so the kitchen gets to be creative and I get to be surprised by the offerings. My daughter loves the clams, my husband loves the half chicken and mashed potatoes and I had a delicious pasta dish with a slice of very creamy buffalo mozzarella. Service was professional and attentive, even keeping our water glasses full, which I find important when traveling in California. It has a large parking lot, which is a valuable bonus.

Reviewed 14 May 2018 via mobile

This is my second time to Gale’s and it does not disappoint! Homemade pasta is where it’s at with fresh ingredients. Last week I had the zucchini flower (seasoned and topped with melted cheese) appetizer which was incredible. For my entree, I had the handmade chicken, ricotta and corn ravioli. It reminded me of when my Italian grandmother Stella would roll her own ravioli for Christmas. I could have eaten twenty of them. The service was on point. The only thing slightly lacking was the dessert. Blackberry creek brûlée was a little uninspiring however my coworkers had the flower less chocolate cake and the cheesecake and were delighted! This is becoming my favorite restaurant in LA County!

Reviewed 28 April 2018

I think the house-made pasta dishes are worth trying (ask them which ones they make -- the menu doesn't always specify). Chicken piccata was dry. It was nice, but for holding the current number one spot on the list of Italian restaurants in Pasadena, I really expected something special.

Reviewed 20 April 2018

I am not a fan of pork chops. They are often bland, often dry, frequently tough, and usually presented in a traditional, non-imaginative way. I never order them, and my wife, who loves them, often shares hers with me, and I am usually unimpressed.

Until last night. Gale's parmesan-crusted pork chop transcends pork chops. It is a juicy, succulent tender cut of meat infused with tons of flavor. It is, in a word, amazing, and I would probably order one for myself next time, it was that good.

I ordered the ravioli special, filled with braised beef brisket, and drizzled with truffle oil, sprinkled with crispy onions. My mouth waters just thinking of it.

Our dining companion ordered the tortellini (sp?) bolognese. I was not as impressed with it as with our own dishes, but he loved it.

We shared a coconut cream cake for dessert. It was perfect for three. We were happy we didn't order the three separate desserts we had our eyes on.

Service was casual, friendly, and prompt. Our waiter was helpful and even funny.

Free private parking was a plus, and the atmosphere was lively, but not conversation-hindering.

1  Thank David G
Reviewed 15 April 2018

Always excellent food. Always good service. Can be noisy, but is usually an acceptable level. Good for lunch, good for dinner.

1  Thank newell12017