“Poor service good food”

Ai Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #218 of 791 Restaurants in Pasadena
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 4 September 2014

Food is tasty, better than average portions. Service is inconsistent. Waitress tonight forgot to put in order and didn't check back for 30 minutes. We left hungry and went across the street for Chinese food.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

My family and I have been eating at the Ai since the late 1980's and have few complaints about the relatively consistent menu, solid service and welcoming family atmosphere. There's is not one menu item we haven't sampled and always rely on the Ai to have something for everyone in the group.

Not so favored: a sashimi sampler that had sauces on the fish instead of on the side.

Delicious surprises: Anchovy sashimi that was so mild and buttery.

Consistently good: the Tempura batter.

Thank you Ai Restaurant, for so many years of our family's gatherings.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We came to Ai Japanese Restaurant after having google maps venture us out to this area on a business trip here with my colleagues. This place is reasonably priced with a very good beer selection. The sashimi is not out of this world and the sushi rice needs improvement. All in all the ambiance was OK and the overall experience was OK. I would not recommend.

Reviewed 13 September 2012

I have been going to Ai for many yeras. Very consistent overall good food. Service is not very good if busy. Manager/owner not friendly at all but I go back someitmes beacuse of the delicious hot spinach and sautee green beens. They go well with rice and any sashimi selection from the chef. Can be crowded sometimes.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

If you are looking for good Japanese food with generous portions at a reasonable price - this is the place. I ordered the pork cutlet and sashimi combination for dinner. It came with miso soup which was hot (temperature) - as it should be. I have eaten in too many Japanese restaurants that serve lukewarm miso soup. Besides soup, it came with a small side of of green and potato salad. They gave me two good size pork cutlets which were crispy but not oily. The sashimi consisted of four pieces of tuna and two pieces of salmon - both were fresh. Definitely a good place to take the family for a good old fashioned Japanese dinner.