“Tuscany disappointment :(”

Ranked #27 of 30 Paso Robles B&B and Inns
Southern California
“Tuscany disappointment :(”
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We stayed at the Villa Valdemosa this weekend. I was disappointed with our visit on a number of different points. None of these should come as a surprise since in most of the previous reviews, people encountered the same problems. My mistake was not reading the reviews BEFORE selecting it. First off, the website touted that all suites had a flat screen TV and a DVD player to enjoy the library of over 500 movies. When we arrived, after coming in early on a Saturday night, we were told by Danielle, who was very gracious, that the Petit Syrah Suite doesn't have those. Then we realized the room had no "private patio" as stated on the website.

The bed was extremely uncomfortable, and we both woke up with back pain. This was also mentioned in the reviews. In the morning, a dog woke us up at 6 am with his / her barking. Then a baby started screaming. These are both things I could have avoided by staying home.

As for the gourmet breakfast, the frittata Tom made was delicious but the single strip of turkey bacon left a lot to be desired.

Similar to posts left by other reviewers, the villa has potential but it certainly was more like staying in a spare bedroom at someone's home.

I had intended on calling Tom after we returned home to discuss these issues but after reading reviews about others who made that decision and received a "it's not my problem response", I chose to write this review.

Tom, it seems, from other posts, that you are not open to constructive criticism, don't care that in the hospitality industry you sometimes have to "bite the bullet" and admit your customer is right, and despite similar posts over the past few years, have not made any improvements to your property. It is sad that you take that approach. I wish you the best and hope that future clients take the time to read reviews before selecting your property.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank 88Lola88
tomr67, Owner at Desperado Inn, responded to this review, 11 February 2012
This review was sent in by a Groupon coupon person, who became agitated when the service amenities were not what she expected. We tried in every way to make her happy.Before she left she was asked if everything was satisfactory and she said yes.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
so cal
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I booked 2 rooms in November for March. After speaking with Tom and confirming the rooms, he calls me 2 months later to tell me he's canceling them because he has a $5000 wedding that he wants to book instead. Well, since it's a festival weekend, every other place is booked or twice the price and I've already spent $400 on festival tickets that I bought after I booked the room with Tom. Now I'm out a place to stay and $400. Meanwhile Tom says,"Things happen and I'm not going to lose a $5000 dollar wedding for you" and then hangs up on me. If you book it he will cancel you if a better deal comes along. Don't stay here! Beware!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
11 Thank hbgirl14

Travellers are raving about these Paso Robles hotels

Redlands, California
Reviewed 5 December 2011

This place is a prize if you are looking for a quiet place to stay while in the Paso Robles area. The host is helpful and attentive. The facilities are very nice, the view of the area is spectacular, traffic and traffic noise are non-existent. A great couples get away place!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Aliso Viejo, California
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Im doing a review here because this place says Trip Advisor rates them number 1 or 2 all of the time! Terrible! Horrible! Dark room which claims to be a "Portifino Suite" with stained rugs. Tiny bathroom. NO TV !!! NO DVD !!! (which they claim to lend you 600 movies-only if your room has a dvd player) and NO WIFI (we werent close enough to the home that supports it! NO HEAT! Sorry, space heater. Put it on your nightstand, add sweat clothes and socks and a few more blankets. It almost works out for you. The owner claims there should not be a problem because he sets it at 64! No hot breakfast! No gourmet breakfast! A plate of muffins and SOME nights there is wine, no cheese. And the best for me was setting up the surprise flowers and champagne because it was both of our birthdays that day. Nothing! When I questioned it I was told that I am a "discounted" room and if he did that for everyone he would go broke! OMG. I paid $250 for 2 nights. Is that considered cheap? Wait till you see this place and you'll get where I am coming from. His email does not work so he doesnt get anything you send. His printer does not work so there is no receipt when he collects for tax on the room. Hes not even sure what charges the card I was told. Big surprise when my bill comes in.
Reading the other reviews I know some of them had to be filtered. This place is just something some guy is trying to do so he does not have to work in the real world. Your a fool if you go. Get your money back and go to a real B&B. And enjoy! We were stuck because we had already bought it online as a deal. We had to stay.

Room Tip: Dont stay here.