“Nice breakfast stop!”
Review of The Beach Grass Poway - CLOSED

The Beach Grass Poway
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 22 July 2015

Stopped here yesterday morning to grab a bite to eat while waiting to go to an 1100 appointment in San Diego. My fiancée had their breakfast combo and was very pleased, eggs were excellent. I had the seasonal fruit and a side of bacon. Both were good.

Reviewed 13 July 2015

They've Gone Down. We've gone to this place for some years and were very disappointed today. I was given a napkin that was dirty because it had been wrapped around an also dirty/used (seemingly ketchup stained-knife). I requested a new set and did get one; but, the waiter was not that shocked or particularly apologetic in responding to me at first getting a clearly used knife in what I hoped was not also a used napkin! Yuck!

Our Diet Coke and Iced Coffee glasses seemed all ice with very little beverage. This is a change from the past, when the servings were generous with the wait staff always coming to provide refills.

Our waiter went thru the motions of doing the right things; but, our sense was that he was in a rush to get us to be done for his next tip. He gave us our bill while I still had a full plate of food in front of me and we'd only been there about 15 minutes. Again, a change from the excellent wait service we have had in the past.

I ordered the Greek Omelet with Breakfast Potatoes. The omelet was good but the potatoes were very basic...no spices, etc. Seemed like they were just boiled potatoes with a few bell pepper slices included on the side.

We decided today it is time to seek a new local breakfast place after this experience.

1  Thank chickclickfun
Reviewed 18 April 2015

My wife ordered a chicken club sandwich with no avocado. The menu said it was on sourdough and with Swiss cheese. The sandwich arrived. It was on a squished hamburger bun with avocado and pepper jack cheese. When we told the server that it was wrong he insisted that it came on a hamburger bun. We asked for a menu and he changed his mind.
The French fries where greasy, the place was dirty. We ate very little and paid the bill and left.
Don't bother eating here. The only positive is we did not get sick.

2  Thank Dfettner
Reviewed 24 February 2015

Because we're part of a group that goes out for a mid-day Sunday meal on a pretty regular basis, we've become very familiar with the Beach Grass Restaurant in Poway.

Pros: The menu is quite varied and allows for people in our group to choose breakfast or lunch. The staff is friendly and very accommodating about seating us quickly if we call ahead (our group size is usually between 6 and 12) even on a busy Sunday. When food is delivered that isn't what we ordered (which happens pretty regularly) the servers never cop an attitude and always make things right. They are very nice about providing us with separate checks and the checks are always accurate. Lots of easy, free parking.

Cons: We've ordered different items each time, from omelets to pancake or French toast combo plates, to specialty "scrambles," to sandwiches and salads. The service is always very slow and the food quality and presentation is never consistent. Just when I think I've discovered the best item to order, it arrives at the table with something different than the description on the menu: ketchup instead of salsa, avocado that isn't sliced but is mashed in an attempt to hide the fact that it's turned brown, potatoes instead of the fresh fruit that was requested, sour dough bread instead of ciabatta, etc. Once, two people at the table ordered a meal that included pancakes. The first person got his entire meal at the same time. The second person got his meal without pancakes, with the promise that they were coming soon. Twenty minutes later two small pancakes arrived that looked like the cook must have run out of flour and tried to substitute other ingredients to approximate pancakes. One person ordered an omelet that he had tried before and said that it was about half the size as the previous time. Most recently, I noticed a woman at another table bite into the sandwich she had ordered, look at it strangely then call the waiter over to ask what he had written down as her order. It was clear he had gotten it wrong, but he left the sandwich with her and brought her the right one a few minutes later. Once there were three checks delivered to the table and each one was paid with cash that required change to be delivered. It took forever to get the change back and when he returned the server suggested that it's better to use a credit card because they don't have an easy time with cash transactions!?

I don't know if they need more servers or more efficient servers or different cooks or a new buyer to order the ingredients they need. I guess we keep going back because we're sure we'll figure out what to order that tastes great and doesn't vary wildly from visit to visit. Maybe it's because they are so accepting of our large party and unflappable about separate checks or maybe we don't want to suggest someplace different because we think one of us might really love this place. At any rate, it's kind of like continuing to wear those cute shoes that hurt your feet every time. Who knows why we do these things?

1  Thank pbahab
Reviewed 29 January 2015

I'm not a fussy eater, but I am particular. I won't eat bad food. I was so happy when I fell upon the Beach Grass. I've had many meals and each one was perfection. It is my favorite place to go for breakfast.