“Close but no Cigar”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Los Angeles, California
“Close but no Cigar”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

The room itself was fine. The service in general was slow. The restaurant was incredibly disorganized. Loads of empty tables but a line out the door with no one to seat anyone or bust the tables. The spa was loud and obnoxious, way to small for the amount of people roaming through. I would be willing to pay a fee for spa access, if it would improve the current situation. The massage was so-so but nothing I'd brag about. This is a time share and hotel facility, so expect lots of kids everywhee. The satellite pools did not have service so you have to call it from the pool phone and wait for room service to deliver. Unless I have points, I don't plan on staying here again.

Room Tip: no elevators - so if you have lots of luggage get a first floor room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank AmysGreatAdventure
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 March 2012
Dear AmysGreatAdventure,

Thank you for your recent review. We hope you will give us another opportunity to provide the fine service the Westin was founded upon. We appreciate all your comments and feedback as this allows us to improve our services. We do hope to see you again soon and thank you for your patronage.

Be well.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
  • Korean first
Albany, New York
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Somewhat dissapponted, it was only one night but we are platinum owners and with Platinum status we were told we would be upgraded to a wonderful room at any property. We got to your property and were greeted as gold members and we got an ok room. Nothing facing the mountains. No upgrade, nothing.
After all the money I have dumped into starwoods to attain this level of ownership I continue to be dissapponted with all the promised benefits.
My stay at your property was another example of this .

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank redhead56
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Dear redhead56,

Thank you for your recent review. We would like to extend our apologies for your recent experience at our property. We would like to assist you further so we may offer you the fine service the Westin Mission Hills was founded upon. Please contact us at denise.harnett@westin.com so we may further discuss your stay.

San Marcos, California
Reviewed 6 March 2012

The Westin Mission Hills is a very large resort. Part of our group was put in the farthest rooms bldg 16. Others were in 9 (next to pool). Then we had some in the resort. i think this was in the next county. Lets just say It was very difficult to figure out how to walk to the pool from our room. It was easier to drive to the lobby.

The buffet was tasty but a bit pricey for a continental at $16/per person.

The pools looked great, however, neither slide was working or the pool was closed (mid day around 3-5 on Sat). So we had to get back in the car and drive to the other pool.

Our friends were in the resort section so we were able to go over to that pool (drive then shuttle). Much nicer (slide still closed). I was able to order food and drinks at this pool. Salmon Club was very tasty.

Large rooms. Nice sized bath. Our room did not have robes but our friends did. Not sure what the difference was. Could not locate the menu in the room to order in breakfast so we went to the buffet.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank JAKnny
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear JAKnny,

Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate the time you took to provide us with your feedback, as this allows us to provide the best possible service. I'd like to extend our apologies for the lack of robes in your room. We do provide 1 robe in each guest room and more upon request. In response to our pools, they are open until 10pm daily, depending on weather conditions; however our slides do close at 4pm as it begins to get dark and visibility is difficult for lifeguards. This is a safety measure we take to protect our guests. We are thrilled you enjoyed the Salmon Club and do thank you for the compliments and helpful comments. We hope you will join us again soon.
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Everyone of the staff I interacted with was extremely courteous and friendly in a personable way. Even the groundskeepers and shuttle drivers offered a salutation as we passed each other along the pathways. I liked the green initiative that allowed me to opt out of room cleaning on a daily basis in exchange for a food coupon to on property dining facilities, even though I didn't use them. That gave me more privacy and comfort in managing my belongings, though housekeeping did still enter the room to refresh the snack items for billing purposes.

Room Tip: My king bed room in one of the multi unit buildings overlooked the golf course. It was spacious and...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Gary B
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Dear Gary B,

Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate you wonderful compliments and are thrilled your enjoyed your stay. Please do contact us so we may assist you with a future booking. We thank you again for your patronage and hope to see you again very soon.

Cerrillos, New Mexico
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I recently stayed here for 3 nights while at a corporate conference which was held at the Westin. The resort is enormous but generally well kept and with beautiful grounds. I stayed in one of the rooms not far from the main lobbies, but many rooms and especially the villas are a long, long walk. In fact, you will usually need the chauffeurs on golf carts to take you to and from those far villas. The staff was very eager to accommodate and I found all of the staff to be very pleasant and professional throughout the resort. The main buildings are well kept but a little difficult to navigate at first because everything is spread out so far. There is a nice convenience store near the lobby that offers coffees, pastries, wines, beer, essentials and toiletries. The rooms at the resort are hit-and-miss, it seems. My room seemed a little dated (like from the 80's), although the room was in fairly good condition. The minibar area cabinets never closed properly at all, but the room had a coffeemaker, free coffee, a minibar that was fairly well stocked with the wines, beer, sodas, juice, and an extra empty refrigerator (which I filled with cheaper merchandise from Walgreen's down the street). The furniture in my room was not in the best working order, although the beds were comfortable and the bathroom was very clean and worked well.
Our food at the conference was coordinated by the resort and was actually pretty disappointing. It was not bad food, just very ordinary, plain food that you could get at any cafeteria style place. The restaurants at the resort were the same -- very mundane food with nothing interesting except the price.
My impression is that this resort is a good place to stay, but not to eat. If there is a large conference going on, then it might be a lot more difficult to enjoy it as a couples or family vacation since the staff resources are stretched quite a lot. I don't golf so I can't comment on the golfing, but a lot of my colleagues seemed to enjoy the courses at the Westin.
The town of Palm Springs generally appeared to be a little bit of a dump depending on where you go. It's not all about beautiful resorts that one sees on television, and the weather can be very smoggy, windy, and cold, which it was during my stay.
The Westin was a decent place to stay, esp. because of the courteous staff, but if I went back to Palm Springs on my own, I would probably try a different resort next time.

Room Tip: The villas are nicely appointed full apartments but they are a long, long way from the main faciliti...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear NewMexicoSW_Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to post your most recent review. We appreciate all your comments and concerns as this allows us to provide the best possible services for our guests. We would like to extend our apologies for the challenges you faced during your stay. We strive to provide the ultimate experience for our guests so they may enjoy a warm, relaxing getaway, even while at a conference. You're feedback is very important to us and we thank you for your patronage. We hope you will give us the opportunity to provide the best service the Westin was founded upon and hope you will allow us to assist you with your future booking. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
7.3 km away
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
5.2 km away
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!