“Just okay, Americanized Mexican food”

Anchos Southwest Grill & Bar
Ranked #2 of 741 Restaurants in Riverside
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

A lot of people seem to rave over this place, but I guess it's a matter of taste. Here's my experience:

The chips were okay.
The salsa was bland with no spice whatsoever and the only other alternative is the habanero sauce which is WAY too hot.
The flour tortillas were good. They are made in a machine in the center of the restaurant. I need one of those machines!
The beans are served whole when my husband and I prefer refried. The rice was just okay.
My husband said the grilled skirt steak was really good. That seems to be their specialty.
My chicken soft tacos were bland. The meat was not seasoned and it was made with flour tortillas, which I never liked. The menu did not mention they were flour tortillas nor did it mention there were 3 tacos. That's way too much food for me which would have been fine because I like leftovers, but the tacos weren't good and got soggy.
Two other family members that were with us ordered the Skirt steak and the Carnitas. The steak was requested medium well, but it looked burnt. I didn't taste the Carnitas but they looked unimpressive. They did not look crispy on the surface like they should.
The server was a bit too attentive. I never thought I would say that, but she would just linger at the table making small talk. A few times I wanted to ask her if she would like to pull up a chair and join us. It was really awkward. We were visiting with family that we rarely see and really wanted to talk with them, not the waitress. I'm not sure if that was normal or if it was just her.
Overall it seems like this place is more Americanized and not Authentic Mexican food. Maybe they have other menu items that are better, but I don't think we will be back to try again.

1  Thank hotellover13

Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

Fabulous food, fantastic service, delicious cocktails and a wonderful outdoor eating area. Everything we tried was fresh & yummy.

Reviewed 6 December 2017 via mobile

They make fresh tortillas and our kids love to watch the employees in action. I could go here and eat only tortillas, with butter of course!

Reviewed 2 December 2017

I broke my back 3 years ago and couldn't eat in the hospital for 2 months. When I was cleared to eat, my family would get me anything I wanted. I wanted Anchos. They are the masters of red meat. Their chips and salsa are the best I've had anywhere. I've gone for over 20 years and I will continue to go back. Maybe 600 plus visits and I think I had 1 meal that was just ok. Once you go, this will be your go to place.

Reviewed 12 November 2017

Anchos has tasty authentic food you will surely enjoy. Portion sizes are generous, and while you wait you can often watch them making the in-house handmade tortilla chips. Yum! This is a good place to bring a date or the family for a special lunch or dinner.