“Amazing customer service and to die for tortillas”

Anchos Southwest Grill & Bar
Ranked #2 of 743 Restaurants in Riverside
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

Came here for my childrens' bday luncheon on a Wednesday and the place was packed but we were able to get right in. This place does not look like much from the outside and it is not in a very good area but it is worth looking past these things. The best part about this place is the homemade flour tortillas. They give you as many as you want and unfortunately I ate my weight in flour tortillas. I also give you tons of chips and salsa so by the time you food gets there you're not even hungry. So my suggestion would be to order something light and just enjoy all of the tortillas and chips. Or plan on taking half of your food home for later. This was my plan anyway but when my food came I ordered the chili rellano and it was so good I ended up eating the whole thing. I literally had to be rolled out of the restaurant. My kids loved it because as soon as the sat down, the waitress gave them a ball of dough to play with and that kept them busy for the entire lunch. They were in heaven pretending to make pizzas and flour tortillas. Such a simple thing to do but so smart you can also watch the tortillas being made. Our server was excellent and everyone was extremely friendly. We all decided when we left that this was going to be our new go to place for birthdays .

Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

This is a hometown favorite that always has a crowd. Everything on the menu is delicious and the staff is always friendly. Love that the owners are always walking around and make a point to say hello to all. The tortillas are to die for!

Reviewed 22 December 2017

Wonderful food, atmosphere, service! The bar makes excellent margaritas... try the cadillac! Attentive servers without being annoying. BEST handmade tortillas around!

Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

A lot of people seem to rave over this place, but I guess it's a matter of taste. Here's my experience:

The chips were okay.
The salsa was bland with no spice whatsoever and the only other alternative is the habanero sauce which is WAY too hot.
The flour tortillas were good. They are made in a machine in the center of the restaurant. I need one of those machines!
The beans are served whole when my husband and I prefer refried. The rice was just okay.
My husband said the grilled skirt steak was really good. That seems to be their specialty.
My chicken soft tacos were bland. The meat was not seasoned and it was made with flour tortillas, which I never liked. The menu did not mention they were flour tortillas nor did it mention there were 3 tacos. That's way too much food for me which would have been fine because I like leftovers, but the tacos weren't good and got soggy.
Two other family members that were with us ordered the Skirt steak and the Carnitas. The steak was requested medium well, but it looked burnt. I didn't taste the Carnitas but they looked unimpressive. They did not look crispy on the surface like they should.
The server was a bit too attentive. I never thought I would say that, but she would just linger at the table making small talk. A few times I wanted to ask her if she would like to pull up a chair and join us. It was really awkward. We were visiting with family that we rarely see and really wanted to talk with them, not the waitress. I'm not sure if that was normal or if it was just her.
Overall it seems like this place is more Americanized and not Authentic Mexican food. Maybe they have other menu items that are better, but I don't think we will be back to try again.

1  Thank hotellover13
Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

Fabulous food, fantastic service, delicious cocktails and a wonderful outdoor eating area. Everything we tried was fresh & yummy.