“Great Surprise ”

Ranked #17 of 2,130 Restaurants in Sacramento
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 January 2018 via mobile

What a wonderful surprise to find this great restaurant. First the ambiance is awesome. High ceilings open up the entire restaurant. Staff was excellent and gave some good recommendations. Best of all the food was spectacular. The prices were very fair.

Reviewed 6 January 2018

The service was like some complex, choreographed performance. I don't know that I've ever really noticed service, unless it was really bad. But this place is pretty unusual in terms of just how good the service was. Not the obsequious or condescending service of San Francisco or Napa, but rather a team of humans who seemed intent on making sure that we were happy and provided with everything we needed at just the right moment. We ordered three fabulous tapas (beets, arancini, meatballs) and they were delivered by multiple servers using some type of military precision. It was great! House wines and cocktails were lovely. Mains were good (chicken and lamb). Chef came around to check on us...twice. Like I said, the service...

Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

We love the press but damn the entrees are tiny. We had 4 appetizers for 3 of us & I still didn't get enough. I had the salmon, my wife had lamb shanks & my son had the ny steak. All were superb but tiny. My salmon was a 4 oz serving. You're going to love it but you're going to pay to get enough.

Reviewed 14 December 2017

We were here today, with a few friends to have drinks and dinner. We got there just as they were opening and sat at the bar. The cocktail menu is varied to say the least. Really nice concoctions that you don't see everywhere. Of note, in particular were the Mark Twain and the Ginger Tattoo. The Perry Creek Zin was somewhat forgettable but the house red, made with the Perry Creek was, by far, a better glass of wine.
Appetizers. Meatballs, yum. Cheese ricey balls, ok. Goat cheese stuffed red peppers, terrific.
Dinner. Pappardelle alla Bolognese, Braised beef short rib, creamy polenta, red wine sauce, Braised lamb shank, butternut squash risotto, kale, raisin and Linguine with clams, white wine, garlic, butter, herbs (yes, copied and pasted from the menu) were all GREAT. We also shared a pair of Molten Lava Cakes with Ice Cream. More greatness.
We had more men and women waiting on us than you'd see in most places. There was always someone checking on our progress, asking if everything was ok, refilling water, taking away spent dishes. Jennifer was great as our "primary server". Outstanding service by the bar staff as well. Heck, there was a guy checking the stability of the tables before the dinner crowd came in. How cool is that? Usually, you just look around for something to stuff under a leg of the table yourself. Nice job people. You should be proud to participate in the success of this place.
The interior of this place is classic industrial downtown Sac.

Reviewed 6 October 2017

I have eaten here several times over the past year or two and they consistently deliver a wonderful meal. Their "tapas" are (very) small plates of tasty tidbits for $4 each or 3 for $10. These are a great starter for the meal or a tasty happy hour snack. Salads are wonderful and plentiful. Personally, I have only ordered the short ribs with creamy polenta, because they are just so good I cannot get past them to any other menu item. My lovely wife ordered the lasagna, which was excellent as well. Our waiter confessed that he only ordered those two things for much the same reason that I have not ordered other menu items. This place is run by an owner/chef and the food is consistently good and, to my mind, "well-priced" (meaning under priced, but please don't tell him that). This place rates close to Waterboy and Biba for fine dining, but is a bit less painful when the bill arrives.