“Traditional Fish & Chips in CA”

Railroad Fish & Chips
Ranked #129 of 2,057 Restaurants in Sacramento
Cuisines: Fast food
Description: Front and K Streets in Old Sacramento
Description: Front and K Streets in Old Sacramento
Reviewed 12 April 2017

Centrally located on the waterfront of Old Town Sacramento so perfect place to grab fish & chips for lunch. They have indoor and outdoor seating but I prefer to take lunch and sit on one of the many benches that line the river. Price is super reasonable and service is fast. Nothing beats this place for a quick bite after browsing around the old town area.

Reviewed 22 March 2017 via mobile

We were looking for a place to grab a quick bite and were drawn here by the ratings and smell. Right after I placed my order, however, I noticed the cook dropping frozen shrimp from a box into the deep fryer. My expectations dropped at that point, so I wasn't surprised when the food I received was pretty much tasteless. I will give them points for fast and friendly service, but that's about it.

Reviewed 5 March 2017

Stopped by with a friend for dinner. Cheap foods. I had the fried oysters and have to say I have had MUCH better fried oysters in the past. These were greasy and over fried and not too good at all. With so many places to eat in "Old Downtown", I sure wouldn't go back to this place.

Reviewed 23 February 2017 via mobile

Best garlic fries I've had of recent. Fish and chips nicely fried. Hot dog was a hot dog so ok. All the fried options seem like a good choice. They do have chowder and salad but I didn't see anyone order any lol.

Reviewed 23 January 2017

If you've ever been disappointed by limp, soggy fish & chips, this is your place. If you've ever had to pour the salt on your fish & chips, only to find that they're still bland, this is your place. Basically, if any other fish & chips spot has left you disappointed, you've got to give them a shot.

I like my fish seasoned well before it's fried and Railroad does it right. No flavorless fish here. It's savory, moist meat is expertly coated with a super crunchy crust. Succulent butterflied shrimp are given the same treatment. Love the fries too! They'll even accommodate a request for getting them well-done. I love to dip mine in their tasty tarter sauce.

Unless it's 100 degrees, I almost always splurge on a cup of clam chowder. At $5.50 for a 12 ounce cup or $8 for a sourdough bowlful, it's not the cheapest option in town, but the quality makes it worth every penny. I love that it's homemade and you can taste that they use fresh ingredients. It's rich, but not too thick.

Service is very friendly, almost surprisingly so in comparison to other Old Sac eateries. The seating options are great if you're a people watcher. If you take one of the benches in front or out back by the railroad tracks, they'll even bring your order out to you.

1  Thank sacstrawblnd916