“Consistently excellent”
Review of Il Fornaio

Il Fornaio
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 2,135 Restaurants in Sacramento
Price range: US$10 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 4th Street
Transit: Regional Transit stops one block over on 4th and L Street. Amtrack stops three blocks over on 4th and I Street.
Description: Il Fornaio means "the Baker" in Italian. Located in downtown Sacramento, this award-winning restaurant offers an authentic and unique Italian dining experience and a Wine Spectator Award of Excellence 2007 wine list. Enjoy wood-fired rotisserie and grilled meats, poultry and game; house made and imported pastas; pizzas from an oak wood burning oven; fresh salads and house made soups; antipasti and a wide variety of desserts made daily from scratch.
Reviewed 31 March 2018

Went for a dinner meeting. We started with an antipasti platter which had excellent olives, salami, fried risotto and bruchetta. The ceasar salad had just the right amount of dressing with a very good shaved grana padana cheese. The filet was nicely done with a tasty reduction sauce. The hazelnut chocolate cake was small but delicious

Patrick D, General Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Thanks Stan, we appreciate your kind review

Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

This is going to become one of my favourite spots. We visited by chance on our way back from Tahoe and we were so impressed. The restaurant is spacious and well designed. A good mix of privacy and social areas. The staff is very attentive and our waiter had master the perfect balance of always there when needed, but never invasive.
The food was also impressive especially for the price. I am a fussy Italian eater but I could not fault the scaloppine, they were just divine. My husband chicken was also very tasty. I would certainly recommend it. My two year old also enjoyed is food. We will be back!

Patrick D, General Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2018

Thanks for the kind words, hope to see you again soon,
Patrick

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Amazing food, excellent service. I have been here before and I really never get disappointed. It’s a great location, very sophisticated and the food is always tasty.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

This restaurant is well run, clean, and I've had nothing but excellent service there. Parking can be an ordeal since this is the heart of downtown Sacramento in the high-rise area of Capitol Mall, so be prepared to pay a decent price for decent parking. The food at this restaurant is top-notch. I've never had a disappointing meal here.

Patrick D, General Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2018

Dear MCADAMA,
Thanks so much for the kind review, we really appreciate it. I am sorry to hear you have been paying for parking. We validate whenever we are open. Two hours at lunch, and unlimited at dinner. Please park in the 5 story structure inside the Wells Fargo Building and we will validate your ticket.
I hope to see you again soon!!

Reviewed 22 February 2018

Il Fornaio used to be a class act. It's still a gorgeous setting for a restaurant. But something's seriously happened to the service. We went there with another couple for a celebration dinner. We'd reserved a table. The young bartender knew little about making cocktails, despite telling us he drinks what we ordered "at home." The hostess took a phone call rather than seat us. Left us standing there -- with our drinks in hand. There were no hooks left to hang our coats, so we had to squeeze them into the small booth they stuck us at.
The female waitperson was nice, but could not make up for them not bringing us bread. Or my HORRIBLE dinner, which I had to send back (and I am not that kind of diner). It was inedible. The others in our party mostly liked their food. And the waiter who crumbed the table was professional.
Overall, we paid top $ for a sub-par dining experience.
To be fair, they took my meal off the tab. I would rather have had some of the delicious food I fondly recall from the days I frequented the place weekly.
Dessert was awesome.
I will not be back.

Patrick D, General Manager at Il Fornaio, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2018

Dear SactoSusan,
After reading your response I wanted to contact you immediately and apologize. It looks as if at least a few things went right, but I understand your disappointment. I am sorry you had this frustrating experience in my restaurant.
I will speak with everyone involved, and make sure they hear about your experience.

I was hoping to make this up to you? Please contact me at your earliest convenience at pdiegelman@ilfo.com so I can invite you back in as my guests and make sure everything is perfect. I look forward to hearing from you.