“Unfriendly service and bad food”
Review of Black Bear Diner

Black Bear Diner
Ranked #8 of 323 Restaurants in Salinas
Price range: US$8 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

I usually try to only post positive reviews as I think every place can have an off day, but this place was really bad value.

Overcooked fish, seasonal veg was inedible because it was undercooked. My husband's full size dinner portion of slow cooked meat was actually small - he's not a big eater but he was left hungry.

Service was lukewarm at best, waiter never asked if the food was good (I guess he knows...) And was more interested in flirting with a table of girls.

None of the food was fresh or had any quality - I could go on but I'll just say if you enjoy fresh, properly cooked meals then this isn't the place for you.

Reviewed 16 September 2017

I had the Hamburger Salad and it was quite good. Service was also quite good. This salad is quite filling. It has hamburger,bacon, olives, onion, tomatoes, pickle slices and lettuce. Left quite full and satisfied.

Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

Just thinking of their Reuben sandwich makes my mouth water. Ditto the sweet potato fries that come with it

Fun decor. Menu is printed inside newspaper with local history.

Go!

Reviewed 15 September 2017

My husband and I split the big burger, they don't charge you either! Their portions are huge but it was an excellent burger! Loved the homemade chips too!

Reviewed 12 September 2017

We had a wedding rehearsal dinner there. They didn't get my order quite right, but what I had still tasted good. The waiters served us with diligence, trying to make sure we were taken care of, and that with a smile.

I would go there again.