“Nice location, romantic spot, great food”

Cucina Restaurant and Wine Bar
Ranked #8 of 48 Restaurants in San Anselmo
Price range: US$40 - US$60
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Tunstead
Reviewed 10 January 2018

We dropped in on a Saturday evening for our anniversary. It wasn't too crowded at 7:00 p.m. but filled up while we were there. Parking is pretty easy on San Anselmo Ave at that time, and it was a nice evening for a stroll.

Service was quick and attentive throughout the meal. The layout is a little unwieldy, though; when you walk in you just kind of stand in the middle of the aisle and try not to get in anyone's way. The server accidentally backed into me and almost tripped when she was seating us.

The food is all-around great. They started with bruschetta, rather than just bread, which was a nice (and tasty) surprise. The Crostini di Burrata was delightful. The wife ordered the gnocchi bava and enjoyed it, and it was a heartier serving than I've seen at other restaurants. I ordered a steak-and-pesto pizza that was one of the specials; it was a good-sized pizza, and I was not disappointed.

We also shared a bottle of Dolcetto. They have a fair-sized wine menu, and Dolcetto was on the cheaper side, but still pretty tasty.

Reviewed 1 January 2018

We were visiting family who live in Fairfax, (we live in London) and our son suggested we try this restaurant, and I'm glad we did. It was a great evening.
Our server, Owen, was friendly, enthusiastic and helpful. I wasn't sure of which wine to have so he brought me some taster samples to try. I've never experienced that before! The others shared a very good bottle of red.
The food was delicious and everyone in the party was very happy with their meal. The portions were generous. I ordered ravioli con fungi and the pasta was homemade, it had a gorgeous sauce.
The service was great and there was a good atmosphere.
We hope to return.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

Girls Night Out turned out to be a fabulous, fun, delicious event, thanks to the outstanding food AND the knowledgable, friendly, personal skills of our waiter Owen. He made our night !!!!

1  Thank Neelama Julie E
Reviewed 8 August 2017

I'm afraid I'm not really qualified to give a review of this restaurant because, in fact, I have not tried it. But I intended to! In honor of my friend's recent birthday, I had researched Cucina when trying to select a pleasant restaurant for lunch on a Saturday. The reviews looked good, so I booked a reservation in person roughly five days in advance for our birthday lunch. I had asked my friends from San Francisco to meet us at the restaurant, and on the day of our luncheon, I arrived a few minutes early so that I would be there to greet them.
The restaurant was dark except for the kitchen. The front door was open, so I let myself in. None of the tables had been set, and several tables still had chairs on them. I approached the kitchen and spoke to one of the chefs, who explained that they were not open for lunch. When I told him I had booked a reservation, he explained that their servers did not show and so they were unable to serve lunch.
No one had called to inform me of the change, and the posted hours indicated that they do, indeed, serve lunch. It was a very mystifying and disappointing experience. Fortunately, there are other restaurants in the area so all was not lost. But I'm afraid Cucina will need a welcoming host, servers and a reliable reservation system in order to attract a luncheon clientele.

Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

This is a great place in the small town of San Anselmo. Great salads, pasta and next time I want to try the pizza. The rigatoni with sausage, tomato was great. Nice bar, eating area and some outside seating as well.