“ Californian with Japanese's look”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Miyako Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #104 of 230 Restaurants in San Clemente
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

Enjoyable restaurant , friendly owner and freshly made food. Place it's simple and fast in service. Nice California's rolls

Reviewed 21 July 2016 via mobile

We go here all the time. Supper yummy great staff. Great food. Clean !i don't even eat sushi and it's my favorite place to eat.

Reviewed 20 March 2015 via mobile

I used to frequent this restaurant and really loved it. For some reason (and it might be my higher expectations now that I have eaten at more sushi restaurants in Orange County), the quality on food, atmosphere and cleanliness has gone way downhill.

When I walked in to Miyako, I didn't get a warm cozy feeling from the server, but that was understandable because she was the only person waiting on tables and it was at the height of the lunch hour. Why would the manager put that kind of pressure on an employee, especially when she is probably dependent on the tips she makes?

But that's not really any of my business.

The first thing I needed to do was wash my hands. The door to the bathroom was made of wood and had obviously swelled because it was jammed shut. After waiting a few minutes I asked the waitress if I needed a key for the restroom and she must have known why I was asking because she immediately went and wedged the door open for me. Water damage left unattended? Not sure, wood doors aren't my forte. The bathroom wasn't disgusting, but it wasn't clean either. Thank heavens I wasn't there to use anything other than soap and water for my hands. This was the first indication that this restaurant had sub par interest in appearance and cleanliness. Ewww.... They were off to a bad start.

I became even more leery of the hygiene issue when 4 out of the 5 plates served to me were cracked. Not just a little cracked...I'm talking major chips. See pix. The plates were pottery, so yes, pottery does chip easily. At my home when I chip a dish, it goes to the trash can, not the dishwasher.

Ughhhhh, just thinking about the poor state of those serving dishes grosses me out. If they were willing to serve me on plates like that, I wondered what kind of integrity they used regarding the raw fish they serve.

I pointed out the broken plates to the server who then gave me a terse, insincere apology. I could see that she went and told the sushi chef what I was complaining about. He looked over to me, saw that I was not happy, and then looked away. It was more than obvious that he knew about the condition of the plates. And he did nothing but stand there.

I asked to speak to the manager or the owner. The server said that Jinn (sp?) was out that day but that I could call back the following day. I do plan to call and speak to him today, but I am pretty sure my complaint will fall upon deaf ears.

Perhaps if you are reading this review, you will think twice about spending your money at Miyako; a restaurant that cares less about appearances than it does about the money they are making on lunches.

And the food was just meh at best. It really has changed for the worst.

Darn, now I have to find a new fave sushi joint. Plenty to choose from, thank goodness.

1  Thank Kgub
Reviewed 16 March 2015

I just stopped in to see what condition my condition was in and they had sashimi. I ordered sashimi with a Tempura Shrimp side dish. It came with a lunch special and was it ever good and fresh. Recommend it to all. They do Sushi but I do sashimi. Great place

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Great lunch specials! Lots of food - Teri beef, tempura, sushi combo which includes salad. Fresh sushi, tempura batter not oily. Only improvement would be the teri beef. Needs a bit more marinating. Sauce comes on the side. I took home as a leftover and poured all the leftover sauce on top and tasted much better the next day.