“Hopeless”

Ichibiri Restaurant
Ranked #175 of 220 Restaurants in San Clemente
Reviewed 25 July 2016 via mobile

We had a terrible experience that ruined our night and we were treated very poorly by management and staff. We initially complained because the tuna had a very poor smell and the manager came out and started yelling at us about how this was not true and we were trying to start rumors. Everything from the food, to decor, to service is at a point of no return and I would steer clear.

1  Thank Reed H

Reviewed 18 July 2016

we have eaten there before. the drinks are ok, the food was quite good but the "show" was weak and the place just looks tired out. it needs a revamp for sure and it would help of the staff was a bit more personable. they seem in a hurry and hassled. the cook would often just look away as if he was bored with what he was doing. strange. it has been better before. the one up in monarch beach may the one to go to.

1  Thank Kathleen S
Reviewed 22 February 2016 via mobile

First, I'm baffled by prior reviews in 2015. 2016 is a new dawn. No complaints. Filet was best we've experienced in any live grill genre we've experienced in Orange County, Vegas or other states. Scallops and shrimp were awesome. Chef piled our plates high with rice and veggies. Decor isn't Vegas but neither are the prices. $17 for Scallops and shrimp. Very reasonable. I just paid $13 for a Kobe burger down the street, so $17 is a screaming deal. Highly recommend this place. Manager dropped by on 2 occasions, so service is high. Enjoy

Reviewed 27 January 2016

Ichibiri is located right next to the North San Clemente Metrolink rail station and quite close to the beach. We decided to dine there after a hike at the nearby recently opened Marble Head trails. The entrance to the restaurant is a bit stealthy as the sign out front is not lit up. We were greeted and seated right away, this being a Sunday evening, there was no wait. The center of the restaurant is dominated by about 8 Teppan cooking stations with regular dining tables situated on the periphery. We were brought a regular menu and a Teppan menu within a minute of being seated. We both chose the Teriyaki Chicken at $17.00. Most of the other entrees including seafood and beef are higher in price. Only the vegetarian offering is less. Our selection came with a choice of appetizer. I chose the sushi and my wife ordered the tempura. Both were very good and good quality. Our meals came with a rice noodles with vegetables, miso soup and white rice. I found the chicken to be a bit on the dry side but my partner liked hers just fine.
While I found the food pretty good albeit a bit on the high side price wise, I feel the place is in need of a serious face lift. The location is outstanding but it seems it has not had a decor improvement in several years. Right next to our table was a black high boy cabinet with nothing in it and it leaned a bit to one side. The music system played 70's elevator style. Why so many ethnic restaurants in south Orange County don't play their home country's music is beyond me. Dining out is a sensory experience for more than just the palate. Its supposed to be a bit of an escape and the atmosphere needs to reflect that. The front door latches had silver duct tape on them. The lighting was a bit harsh and the center of the ceiling had a string of white lights stuck way up and almost out of sight. I would still recommend eating here but I would encourage the owners to upgrade the look and feel of the place. Good atmosphere always brings in business.

Reviewed 4 August 2015

I ordered take out for my family and chicken Teriyaki was like rubber (I have never seen or tasted chicken this bad in my 38 years on the earth) and when I called and talked to Manager he was rude and would not credit the bill. The manager was defensive on phone and treated me like a con artist trying to get a free mean. I have been going to ichibiri since the 80's when they only had the one location in monarch beach. Let just say I will never go to a Ichibiri again in my life! Shame on you for treating patrons of the community you serve like trash.

1  Thank Brian J