“Delicious eats!”
Review of The Blue Door

The Blue Door
Ranked #63 of 2,232 Restaurants in San Jose
Reviewed 18 April 2017

This restaurant is in our neighborhood. This is our first opportunity to stop in and check it out. Grilled octopus for a starter was the smart choice. Cocktails are fun and different.

Reviewed 3 April 2017

Contemporarily appointed interior and exterior dining areas. Nice patio with right proportion of sun and shade, comfortable chairs and tables. The starters are much more interesting than the entree, which as a group looked less inspiring. Because of this we settled for two starters:salmon tartare and grilled octopus, both of them quite commendable - the salmon coming with side crostini (please make 6 rather than a scanty 3!) and a spicy and good side sauce that looked and partly tasted like a Greek taramosalada (think mayo with crushed roe in it). The octopus was delicious as accompanied with wilted spinach, heirloom cherry tomatoes and potatoes slices. I highly recommend it. The entree we shared with my daughter was a mediterranean platter with Melitzanosalada, tzatsiki and hummus (not as good) with pita bread and two skewers of perfectly cooked chicken - not burned as unfortunately happens in some other restaurants. The kids menu was surprisingly tasty and and well prepared: a large cheeseburger with fries and grilled cheese. inclusive also of soda and a scoop of ice cream each. The Bloody Mary was a little on the weak side both in alcohol and spices. The pistacchio creme brulee embellished with a dollop of whipped cream and 3 raspberries was extremely good and flavorful, prepared in appropriately wide dishes to provide the right mix of creme and crust. So all looked reasonably good or better with the one downside being the service rather unattentive. Examples: When I asked if the salmon sauce was taramodalada nobody bother to come back with an answer, similarly when I asked for more bread, it never came and it took at least 20 minutes to get our creme brulee and the kids ice cream. Maybe we should blame it on the creme preparation time? Other than that, I suggest to go there for breakfast o (ample menu) or to enjoy the starters. Pre-tip check for two adults and two kids was $ 84 which I consider quite reasonable. Tempted to leave a mildly punitive tip but I understand that it is hard to make ends meet as a waiter in the bay area so I settle for these comments instead.

Reviewed 29 March 2017 via mobile

We decided to go as a group on a Monday , everything was perfect ! We started off at the bar - great drink choices - the entire restaurant ambience was very trendy !

Now for dinner - we had a few apps , our friends and I all said each meal was amazing (we ordered the lamb / steak / pasta dishes)

I can't wait to go back to enjoy the patio seating during the upcoming summer nights ! Oh yeah maybe even for brunch!

Reviewed 12 March 2017 via mobile

The food is quite good but for the price points, I expect more prompt and well organized service. I had made a reservation and yet they sat us at a table with cocktail level chairs. Service was slow and we could never figure out who was the lead wait person. I had indicated on the Yelp reservation that this was a birthday celebration and there was no offering of a birthday treat. Had to go ask for the check. And they weren't busy!

Reviewed 4 March 2017 via mobile

My husband and I were planning on eating at The Melt but when we saw The Blue Door we decided to give it a try instead. This area has changed a lot since we last saw it, including the addition of this restaurant called The Blue Door, and we were really surprised by all the updates.

The outside of the restaurant is modern and a huge improvment to what was here before (I think a Chevys?). There is a huge bar area, and tons of indoor/outdoor seating. At 5 PM on a Friday there was no wait to be seated. We ordered two cocktails which were absolutely fantastic (the Blue Drop and some prosecco cocktail). They were both fruity, colorful, and had nice garnishes. I ordered the Quinoa Penne Pesto pasta (which didn't have quinoa that I know of so the name was confusing) and my husband got the fettuccine. The fettuccine tasted delicious and mine was made perfectly but didn't blow my mind. The chicken I added to the pasta was a bit chewy so I'd skip that next time. I think I should've ordered a more unique item but luckily they have a diverse menu for when we come back.

The cocktails were easily the best part of dinner but the service was also quick and extremely attentive. We have added this place to our list of go-to restaurants.