“A Gem in SJC”

Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Cajun & Creole
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed 30 September 2016

Tucked in Los Rios Historic district across the train tracks of downtown San Juan Capistrano is Ramos House Café. A small, unassuming, and very charming restaurant. We came in on a Friday around 11 AM and we were seated promptly. There is a dining area on the porch of this home but we sat in the patio. I love the feel of the patio area...it was pleasant and inviting. The train passed by 2x but it was not really bothersome...it only got noisy when the engine car was passing. The train stopping at the station actually added to the allure of this place.

My husband and I ordered apple cinnamon beignets (light, fluffy, delightful, and delicious), crab hash w/ bacon scrambled eggs and citrus cream served with buttermilk biscuit and apple butter (this dish is divine...I love the blend of flavor and texture and especially delish with some chili sauce. The apple butter has the consistency of apple sauce but was still very good). Huevos rancheros with sausage & chiles (very good according to the hubby though this dish seems on the small side serving wise. It seemed like it was an appetizer instead of entree but otherwise my hubby enjoyed it). I love that the herbs used in the dishes are grown in their garden. You can actually see them around as you are sitting in the patio or waiting for a table outside. One thing to note is that the a la carte menu is only served on weekdays. On the weekends they have a brunch menu for $44/person. I don't eat that much so weekdays works well for me. I am so delighted that this precious gem is in my neighborhood. I enjoyed riding my bike to the restaurant and look forward to going there again.

Reviewed 26 September 2016

After our visit to the Mission at San Juan Capistrano, we discovered a small restaurant within walking distance of the site. The Ramos House Cafe is on a quiet street right next to the railroad tracks. Food is very fresh, especially since the herbs are grown right there. Our server was delightful and very efficient. We had the crab hash, which was excellent. It also was a very generous portion. Our tablemate had the crabcake salad, which was also very good. According to the server, the menu changes daily depending on the availability of the fresh ingredients. We ate on the covered patio. (I didn't see any indoor dining, but it was delightful to sit outside.) We also treated ourselves to the homemade peach ice cream which was served in small, crunchy pastry shells. I would definitely go there again!!!

Reviewed 24 September 2016 via mobile

We just happened to stumble onto this restaurant based upon recommendations from people working in the area. We ordered the Crab Hash and the Crab Cake Salad. Both were the best meals we have had on this vacation trip. Very friendly service put this restaurant right at the top of our list. Enjoy

Reviewed 22 September 2016 via mobile

Ramos house is a local favorite
Great food, great service
Eclectic atmosphere- a consistent winner!!

Reviewed 20 September 2016 via mobile

Excellent food, like it was home cooked. Locally grown ingredients. The atmosphere is a quaint, shaded patio. The neighborhood is a wonderful historic district, good for walking around. Lunch or breakfast plates are about $18-$20 each. I would recommend this as a great place to connect with friends or go on a date. Won't disappoint.