“Bling!”

Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Olympia, Washington
“Bling!”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

If you have never stayed here, you must...at least once in your life. We found an internet special and stayed in the Indian room. The room was fun, but the toilet was over the top! It washes the front or back of your bottom and even dries it...while you relax on the heated seat. The new Madonna pool is gorgeous. All in all, we had a fun experience.

Room Tip: I can't imagine there is a boring room in the place but you can see all the rooms on the Madonna...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Joe_Forgette, Front Office Manager at Madonna Inn, responded to this review, 11 March 2012
Dear valued guest! Thank you for writing such a nice review. We are thrilled that all your expectations were exceeded. We do hope that you will join us again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (414)
  • Turkish first
san diego, ca.
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We have eaten dinner here several times and it has always been nice. We enjoy the decor of the dining room and the food has always been good. We had the prime rib. It will cost you around 35.00pp which some people may think expensive. For the two of us with champagne (it was our anniversary) and appetizers the bill was about 150.00. I had noticed that the shrimp cocktail was not listed on the dinner menu anymore but our server said she could get them for us as they still serve them in the coffee shop so it was nice that she went out of her way to accomodate us. They also gave us a free piece of cake for our anniversary and a balloon at your table which were nice touches. Unfortunately we chose not to stay here overnight because we have stayed in the inn before three times and the last visit was not pleasant so I didn't want to take a chance. The first two times we stayed were great however the last time, the room(love nest) was dirty, stained carpet, paint chipping, shabby, in need of repair and just generally run down. I know the atmosphere is novelty and I like that, but clean and in good repair should be standard. They also botched a gift request my husband had arranged for me and I get that mistakes happen but the who cares attitude was what got me, we were told it was the gift shops problem, for 300.00 a night I would say you need to try and make your guests happy no matter whose "fault" it was. I had written two emails regarding that stay and never heard back from a single person so I have to assume customer service is not a priority. That being said, the steakhouse was great and the grounds are very pretty. I'd like to stay again but for the kind of money they ask, I'm hesitant, unless the rooms have been better kept, maybe they have been redone, I don't know.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mrowson
Joe_Forgette, Front Office Manager at Madonna Inn, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Dear valued guest. Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your previous stays with us. It’s your comments that will better allow our staff to exceed all of our guests’ expectations. Your comments are appreciated and have been forwarded to the appropriate departments. Thank you for visiting us over the years, and we hope to see you again soon!
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 29 February 2012

The only reason I went to San Luis Obispo was to stay in this hilarious hotel! I wanted to experience kitsch America and I sure did! We specially requested the cave man room because WHY WOULDN'T YOU?!? The room lived up to expectations: the walls were covered in real boulders (not fake ones!), there was a water feature in the room, a rock waterfall shower, waterfall sink and.... a waterfall urinal NO JOKE!

The shower was a little haywire and I managed to put water over the entirety of the bathroom but it was an experience.

The crowning glory was the his and hers cave man truncheons on the wall which we posed with on the leopard skin bed spread. The cowhide armchair was funny too.

The hotel is pretty expensive, but the kitsch factor is great. As much as I loved the crazy cave man room, some of the furnishings were a little worn. But it was a hilarious night and we got some classic photos. Well worth it

Room Tip: Ask for the cave man room!!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BrisFood
Thank you for writing such a wonderful review on your previous stay with us. The Caveman room is our most popular and we couldn’t be happier that you were able to experience its primitive whimsy. We appreciate all of our guest’s feedback, and we hope to see you again soon.
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We recently spent a night at the Madonna Inn and found it to live up to our expectations. I will agree that it is expensive, but when you consider that most rooms in the San Luis Obispo area are going to run you over $100 per night on the weekends and the fact that you are paying for an experience, just not a room for the night, the price isn’t out of line. Also since each room is unique, you can imagine that the overhead and maintenance must be quite a bit more than it would be for a hotel where all the rooms have the same fixtures and furnishing.

After reviewing the rooms on their website we called and reserved a room, ‘Love Birds’ a couple of weeks in advance and found the room just to be as described and pictured on the website. The room was clean and well equipped, bed was comfortable and we were very satisfied. All of the staff that we had contact with in person or on the phone were pleasant and helpful. Their website is very good and has a description of each room and everything else that you would want to know about the Madonna; so spend some time there before making your reservation. There was some adjacent room noise and since the doors open to the outside you get some noise from people passing by in some locations, but nothing out of the ordinary. The only thing that keeps me from giving the Madonna a top rating is that there is no free wireless in the rooms. The internet connection that is available for a fee is hardwired and thus not usable for tablets and wi-fi on smartphones. This is the 21st century and I consider in room wireless a necessity that should be provided just like water and electricity and I deduct points for a property that doesn’t have it.

We had dinner in the steakhouse and had breakfast at the restaurant. Again some might consider these as pricey, but remember you are paying for the entertainment and the experience. In both cases the food was ample and delicious. Service in the steakhouse might have been a little quicker, but it was Saturday night and they had a good crowd, and besides you shouldn’t be in a rush anyway; just enjoy the atmosphere.

The bottom line is that this is a great place to stay, not just a room for those passing through. If you consider that it is a destination and a unique experience I think that you will be pleased with the value that you receive. We would certainly consider another stay for a special occasion and I already have my list of rooms that I want to try.

Room Tip: Visit their website and choose a few rooms before you call in case your first choice isn't avail...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Goleta
Joe_Forgette, Front Office Manager at Madonna Inn, responded to this review, 25 February 2012
Dear valued guest. We would like to take the time and thank you for writing such a hearty review. We strive to exceed all of our guest’s expectations and to create a lasting impression. By your review, it appears that we did and we couldn’t be happier. Some of your key points have been forwarded to the appropriate departments for review. We do hope to see you again soon! All the best.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This was my third visit to the Madonna Inn and most likely my last stay. It's definitely unique- It's a cute, kitchy type of hotel, good service and the employees are very friendly, but all the rooms I have stayed in are musty and dusty. Let me begin by saying I prefer a modern contemporary hotel. I'm not a fan of the B & B's with the big overstuffed furniture and heavy draperies, etc., or rustic settings (unless it's in an amazing location on the water, mountains, etc). I don't mind if a hotel is old, but I like a hotel to be squeaky clean. This last stay was in the "Country Gentleman" room which is a huge space, 2 story, w/ 2 bedrooms and a big living area w/one bathroom. The space is great, but it has a very musty, old smell. I think it's because they have so much heavy upholstered furniture and heavy velvet bedspreads and such, that the dust just gets trapped in there and creates the "mustiness". It looked like their updates are piece by piece instead of updating the entire room. The bathroom tile and fixtures looked new and updated, but the carpet is old and in need of repair and the paint is old and worn. Little details like cobwebs in the shower and a "stale" smell just bother me. The beds were soft and lumpy, the closets in the bedrooms were not finished and the couch was saggy. Again, these things are minor if it felt really "clean", but it didn't. If this room was updated properly and had one more bathroom, it would be fantastic.
The Copper Cafe Restaurant has a nice menu-again a throwback type of 50's American comfort food and the Steak restaurant is very reasonable for their huge portions. I would definitely go back for a meal, and stay elsewhere. The Country Gentleman room was $359/night. I'm sure I can find something cleaner and more comfortable in the area for that price.

Room Tip: Their website has a list and photos of all the different themed rooms. Photos can be deceiving!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Greetings valued guest. We appreciate your comments and all have been addressed to the appropriate departments. We are empathetic that your stay was less then memorable, as The Madonna Inn is so unique it’s not for everyone. However, were are gracious that you tried us out and we hope that you will stop soon to dine or just to say “hi”.