“Excellent seafood - beautiful views”

Top of the Market - San Mateo
Reserve with OpenTable
Top of the Market - San Mateo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 423 Restaurants in San Mateo
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Fashion Is. Blvd.
Transit: Public transit stops at South Norfolk directly in front of the restaurant.
Description: Although a Peninsula landmark since 1982, Top of the Market in San Mateo is almost a secret discovery above the bustling Fish Market downstairs. This intimate restaurant overlooking a quiet lagoon evokes the sophisticated charm of the classic, timeless bay area fish house. The seasonal American menu features the finest seafood, meats and local produce complimented by an exceptional wine list.
Reviewed 4 January 2018

We dined recently at the restaurant and found the food to be delicious - well prepared and beautifully presented. I had the dungeness crab ceasar salad, my husband had the grilled cob crab salad, another person had the scallop dinner and another had the seafood stew. We all thoroughly enjoyed our meals. A bit pricey but the seafood was so fresh and great tasting.

Reviewed 11 November 2017

We were visiting from out of town and planned to meet family here for dinner. Someone else in our party made the reservation. We thought we would be eating at The Fish Market (downstairs restaurant) not the Top of the Market. Although it was nice and quiet upstairs, the very limited menu and significantly higher prices made what should have been a happy, casual occasion into one that was painful on the wallet. My husband made the mistake of ordering the scallops dish, consisting of 6 scallops for a price tag of $38 a la carte. The sole dish I ordered was slightly more substantial, but I know we all could have had much more enjoyable food choices downstairs for a lot less money.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

we had an intimate birthday party for my mother-in-law, not only FM is her fave restaurant we held her birthday party at the TOP of the MARKET - it cant get any better.. she loved the ambiance, loved the service - RACHEL took care of us from 6:30p-10:00pm non-stop! the CHEF & his crew were awesome! the family had a great time - food was excellent ... this maybe an annual venue for her birthday

Reviewed 5 September 2017

I have to agree with other reviews I've seen: I just don't see much point in going upstairs to Top of the Market rather than eating for more value downstairs in the regular Fish Market. Our food was very good, and I don't think my ahi tuna appetizer is on the menu downstairs, BUT, for the higher price, I just don't see much value. Yes, it's quieter for sure, classier, more sophisticated. You get a better view of the lagoon. But our server was just competent, nice enough, but seemingly more interested in other customers that she knew from prior trips and chatting with them. Prices are substantially higher upstairs as well. Also, they don't mention it anywhere, but be advised that you have to take the stairs (no ADA variations). I love the Fish Market and for the price and value, I'll stick with downstairs.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Excellent selection of fresh fish served elegantly. White linens and excellent service. If you are early you can have a drink in the popular bar downstairs.