“4+ stars but not quite 5”

San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Reviewed 8 January 2018

This is a very nice Marriott property. Location is great for being driving distance to a ton of stuff but is walking distance to about nothing. About a mile away we found a cool English pub and also an awesome outdoor brew pub type place in the new part of San Mateo. We were in town for a volleyball tournament as happens a few times a year. I wish they would open the restaurant at 6:15 am on those days rather than 6:30. Would be really nice for all us volleyball families. Or at least open earlier than 6:32. A bunch of us had to eat and run to get over to the volleyball facility by 7. As a Marriott platinum member they gave us free parking and also the typical options for a weekend since the C-lounge is closed. Front desk staff handled it well and were very friendly. Gym is nice as it's split into two (cardio and weights). Pool/hot tub are nice. Valet/Bell hops were very friendly. Had a drink in the bar both times we stayed there. The bar was very quiet both times but staff was friendly. In addition to the restaurant they have a nice coffee shop/snack bar. Expensive but nice. The hotel room itself was typical Marriott but nothing special. All told I give it a 4+ stars. Almost a 4.5. Oh ya, I almost forgot, their parking lot uses a card key system that doesn't work very well it appears. Several cars, including us, couldn't get out in the morning as our room keys wouldn't swipe right. Not sure of problem but it was annoying. You swipe your key upon arrival and upon leaving the parking lot. Do valet to avoid this little problem.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stay here for two nights and we got a room with balcony. The room is clean and it has a free bottle of water each day. Room is spacious. The room also comes with a refrigerator which I always appreciate. I like to buy fruits to eat when I travel to make sure I eat adequate fibers.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

I stayed for a family trip for 2 nights during December 2017. I had an excellent experience. The hotel was incredibly comfortable and the restaurant offers an excellent service as well. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful and the location is hard to beat.

I honestly can't find fault with the hotel.

I highly recommend it if you are staying in the San Mateo area.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 December 2017

I stayed four nights on business, and my employer chose this hotel. It is a large, well-located property and quite attractive from the exterior. Inside, however, it is worn and dated in places. My room on the third floor was clean, but the decor was outdated and the carpet almost threadbare. The bathroom counter-top was coming loose from the wall. The HVAC unit is very loud. The TV is way too small and not HD (or perhaps the cable TV signal was not HD). I did not hear any sounds from outside my room.

The restaurant menu is interesting and the food is tasty, but service was spotty over the three nights I ate there. The first and third nights, staff were very attentive. The second night, I had to ask for service several times, starting with getting a menu even though I was seated by the hostess! The on-site cafe with Starbucks coffee is a nice touch.

I'm told this property will start a multi-million dollar renovation next year - it is very much needed.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
Jhaneel T, Front Office Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2017

Dear Jameskul
Thank you for your feedback regarding your most recent stay with us! We are truly exciting for our upcoming renovations and hope to have the opportunity to bettr your expeince in the fuure.

Reviewed 14 December 2017 via mobile

I have stayed here for many years for business travel and always enjoy my stay. But, most recently, the service has gone downhill! I got sick during my visit and perhaps I was a bit more needy than usual, but I had 1-2 simple requests from the front desk per day and every single time I had to call back when the requests were not completed in over an hour! One time I had to call the front desk three times. Towels, cleaning service, room service - all of these things were extremely lacking! It seems like the size of the staff can’t handle the hotel capacity, or, sadly, they just don’t care. I like this hotel but I’m going to seek other options for my next trip based on how I was treated this time.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
Jhaneel T, Front Office Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2017

Dear AlanaD
Thank you for your feedback regarding your trip San Mateo Marriott. We are sorry to hear of your most recent stay with us. As you have been with us before, you are aware this is not a typical reflection of the service we provide to our guest though it seems we missed the mark during your visit. We have shared your feedback with the management team to use as a training tool for our team with efforts of preventing this type of experience fro happening in the future. Should your visits bring your back to the San Mateo area, I hope w have the opportunity to make the next stay better than the last.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Mateo
3.3 km away
Best Western Coyote Point Inn
3.1 km away
Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO

Been to San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport? Share your experiences!