“Wish a place like this was in my town”
Review of San Rafael Joe's

San Rafael Joe's
Ranked #31 of 249 Restaurants in San Rafael
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 January 2016

Now this is my kinda place. The entry leads to a long bar with proper stools, a few TVs for playoff games and excellent bartenders who know their stuff. Plenty of tables for dining near the bar are available. Very informal but high calibre. Once past the bar there are the usual dining tables but most important, at the end of the room there is a counter facing the kitchen and I highly recommend a single or casual couple use it. One cannot get their favorite dish served faster or more perfectly. I ordered the Sole Meuniere with a side of ravioli and their recommended chianti. Superb combination, perfectly prepared and hot when it arrived. This is my place of choice in San Rafael.

1  Thank avohill

Reviewed 17 November 2015

I've eaten at Joe's many times over the years & although I no longer live in Marin I always like to go to Joes for lunch when I am in the area. My question is" why have an exhibition kitchen when your cooks have terrible hygiene"? I sat at the counter today & watched in disbelief when a cook sauteeing on the stove reached behind him , stuck his fingers in a bowl of butter & put the butter into a saute pan on the stove. I know this guy handles uncooked meat & fish all day long & I could not help but wonder where else his fingers have been. I doubt I will ever eat there again. This is the second negative hygiene review I've written on Trip Advisor but when you see questionable hygiene practices I'm no longer going to put up with it & shouldn't have to.

I know the rationale will be that all kitchens suffer from lack of hygiene in one form or another but if you have an open kitchen shouldn't you enforce hygienic standards even more. Since Joe's website doesn't allow customer comments I left my review here & sadly so because the place has been a favorite for a long time.

Goodbye SR Joe's

1  Thank Gianfreddo
Reviewed 2 November 2015

I am a native of San Rafael and have been coming year for decades. The food is always consistent and good. They serve all my favourites. Being Italian, that is a lot of entry's.

Reviewed 16 September 2015

Well, this place looks fancy on the outside and it is in a very nice area of San Rafael. Not sure if there is a BAD area of San Rafael.

I'll start with the positives. The waitress was very nice and the water she brought to the table was cold and refreshing. And that's about all the good I can say.

The spaghetti and meatballs I ordered was terrible. The bread was hard and the loud obnoxious people at the next table didn't help the experience one bit.

Needless to say, I will never return.

Reviewed 2 July 2015

They said it would take 45 minutes. An hour and half later we were ordering. They said people wouldn't leave, but plenty of tables in the bar could have been set up and not pissed off those waiting for dinner. Sister wanted half chicken but since it took longer she opted out. We all got pot roast. Couple next to us ordered, but waiter said we go the last of it. Tasting kind of like the last of it. Quite dry for pot roast, but they claim that's the way they have served it for years. Should have gone for burger.....at another place. Place is very retro, so you are always left with a memory....not a good one in this case.

1  Thank Chipzim