“A Motel Posing As A Hotel Nowhere Near The Beach, But Fine For a Night.”

Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 22 June 2017

Santa Cruz is a a classic seedy/sketchy college town in places, and while this hotel might be justify its high price for what it is if it were facing the beach, it is, instead, surrounded by: a giant government building and its cement parking lot, a major pedestrian unfriendly artery, a homeless encampment type park with a corridor of street people leading to it. You wouldn't notice any of it if you pulled up and parked and then drove everywhere. If that's your style, then the location would be fine, if boring.

Pros: Nice lobby decor. Delicious food in the overpriced restaurant ($15 for a breakfast omelet that doesn't include toast, potatoes or fruit. Just.the.omelet.) Lots of seating indoors or outdoors. Responsive and friendly staff, truly a cut above what you find anywhere these days. Fun faux-Tahoe-decor at the pool. Fast elevators and convenient stairs. Illy coffee in the rooms, nice bath products.

Cons: Tiny airless rooms, no windows, no privacy as it's exterior corridors and your "wall" is a glass pane that lets the neighbors peer in or creates a cave if you draw the curtain. Just like a motel your grandparents once knew. Walkable to downtown, but you'd never want to do it after dark. (They offer a shuttle service, but we didn't try it, we just waited for a group going in the same general direction and hoped for the best.) Overpriced. A beach town hotel from which you can neither see nor hear the beach. A parking charge when there is plenty of room to park cars and they are located on the highway, practically!

If you're deciding between this and one of the many hotels on the cliffside path, you'll get more out of your stay by picking one of those, because you could walk to the pier and along the cliffs, and wander into the neighborhoods of historic homes.

I would base any return visit on price alone. For their average weekend price, you can do better at a charming B and B, if you can find one. Or use your points with Marriott as this is part of that brand, although points availability was always zero when we checked.

Room Tip: All views are bad.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank starsparkles
David C, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2017

Dear Starsparkles,

Thanks for your recent visit and review. We're pleased to know you found the staff friendly and responsive, and that you enjoyed the amenities we offer. We are concerned that not everything was to your satisfaction. We do consider our unique urban setting as a great alternative to escape the hustle and bustle of the beach while providing easy options such as bikes, boards and shuttles to the waterfront. And recommend to book well in advance to take advantage of the best rates and availability. Please let me know if I can assist you with anything from this past visit or on a future visit. david.curell@hotelparadox.com

Reviewed 17 June 2017

I spent a very pleasant and restful night at Hotel Paradox in early June after my bike ride from San Francisco during the day.
It’s a contemporary boutique hotel with simple, elegant contemporary interiors. Agreeable to this architect’s sensibilities for modern and unfuzzy interiors.
I enjoyed a little swimming in the almost lap length outdoor pool and pool side snacks. My only wish is that the pool side menu could have provided healthier snack and drink options. Hummus, veggie & dip, fresh fruit juices or shakes…?
I also liked its location with a number of understated eateries only a block away and Whole Foods within walkable distance and the center of tourist commerce in the other direction. I even got a relaxing massage for the 82 mile ride.
I will stay here again. The only place I have considered returning after having stayed in Santa Cruz a number of times over the years for business and personal travels.
The staff was excellent in courtesy, politeness and helpfulness. Everyone from housekeeping attendants, to poolside and front desk staff. Perhaps, it was because it was Sunday and not filled, but complements to all.
I very much like the vibe.
The only complaint. There was only lukewarm water for shower at 5:30am. That's not acceptable for that early in the morning when most guests are probably still in bed. Management and engineering needs to figure that out asap. I am not alone in this criticism.

Room Tip: i suggest high floor, away from elevators and stairs if you like quiet. My room had that and faced n...
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank wing49er
Reviewed 16 June 2017

Stayed here for a business trip last week and there was no hot water in the room in the morning. Couldn't even shower. What a way to start your day! E-mailed the hotel to relay this to them and never heard back. Would never here again for a business trip because I can't risk not even having hot water in the room!
FYI they also charge $10 a night to park on their lot.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank jeffreyorbit
David C, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2017

Dear Jeffreyorbit,

Thank you for your review. Firstly let me apologize for the inconvenience caused during your recent visit. I can appreciate how uncomfortable it is to begin your day without hot water. This uncommon situation was caused by a local city water outage that knocked out both boilers which when attempting to start, each failed. I am sorry that no one responded to correspondence that you sent. As we haven't been able to locate that email, please contact me directly so that I can provide a resolution that meets your expectations. I can be contacted @ david.curell@hotelparadox.com

Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

So we just checked in and front the front desk experience if the rest of our 2 night stay is the same I will be very happy I splurged for this hotel. No it's not at the beach or overlooking the surf but the location is super central. Great pool area. Easy parking. We have a ground floor unit with a little porch under the eaves and it's QUIET! Room 110 is a pool room technically but it's far enough down the path to avoid the incessant pool noise from well kids mainly. It will be great tonight when they are in bed and we can hot tub in peace! Thanks Paradox very glad I came indeed!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2017

The hotel lobby is beautiful. You first enter and immediately you will see a redwood log is the front desk. It is amazing and as you walk through the lobby you can see that they tried to bring the outside inside. All through my stay the service was impeccable. They were extremely helpful and professional. I stayed there because I had held a company sponsored dinner there a couple of weeks before and was impressed with the food, the service and the atmosphere there.
So what is clear about the accommodations is that this is a renovated motel. You enter the rooms from outside hallways and anyone walking by your room looks into the only window in your room. I personally am not crazy about this because I felt like I couldn't leave the curtains open without someone being able to walk by and look in. I felt very safe there and there were locked gates and entry points but I like to keep my windows clear of coverings during the day. The room was very clean and modern, somewhat small. The oddest thing about the room is there was a 1" gap at the bottom of the entry door. Potentially letting in debris, bugs, critters.....Nothing got in my room but it needed something at the bottom of the door and I found this odd. Clearly the original business was not level and they couldn't find a door that fit this odd size.
I write this review because it wasn't what I expected. It was in a nice location of Santa Cruz, however the park that bordered it with a chain link 6' fence was full of the homeless. I can't complain about the service, the cleanliness, staff or food. All of that was very nice. But if you are going to stay here. You need to understand these few issues about the hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a high room for privacy or pool side if you have kids.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
David C, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2017

Dear FunseekerBothwell_WA,

Thank you for your review and visit. I'm pleased to hear you found the service impeccable, the room clean and modern and that you enjoyed the food. We will certainly take a look at the door in your room and take action to correct and appreciate the design of the building may be for everyone. We continue to work with the city, police and rangers to ensure the beautiful San Lorenzo River Park next to the hotel is safe and enjoyable. Again, we're glad you enjoyed the excellent service and accommodations. Feel free to reach out to me if I can be of any assistance. david.curell@hotelparadox.com