“Longer stay next time!”

Beach Street Inn and Suites
Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 10 July 2015 via mobile

Chose this hotel for a one night stay in Santa Cruz at the tail end of a trip to CA. No early check-in, but hotel called me when the room was ready. Location and ocean views were as promised. Shared balcony was not a problem, and kitchen came in handy traveling with an infant. Room was spacious and beach decor inviting. Parking is not on street level, so unless you went down to the street in your car, beach access is via stairway. Needed room key for access back up to hotel from street which was nice. Would definitely stay again and for multiple nights.

Stayed: August 2014

Reviewed 8 July 2015 via mobile

Room was really spacious with kitchenette and good size bed.

Great view of the pier and beach and has a pool (in car park!) - good for a swim as opposed to sunbathe

Nice coffee shop on site and they have lovely warm butter popcorn in the afternoons.

We had a suite with a couple of recliners outside the front which was perfect for a quiet read

Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2015

My stay was fabulous and absolutely would not hesitate to return or recommend this hotel. I’m a single mom traveling with 2 teenagers and planned on staying here based on the reviews from Trip Advisor. I booked the 2 queen room with a sundeck and I absolutely loved it. It was worth the price. The location is great with a gate access door that opens up right on Beach Street. It is across from the wharf and a 5 minute walk to the Boardwalk.

Upon check-in I had some problems with my card but since it was on a Sunday, I couldn’t do anything until the next day. The manager, Morgan, was very accommodating on getting it squared away. I really appreciated his help and not making me feel embarrassed of the situation. I asked him to reverse all the charges from one card and put them on another. Although, this is not there normal process, he did it for me and I was grateful. He totally went out of his way to help me. OK, back to the room…There are only 5 rooms that have the sundeck and 2 of those are the suites. They are the only rooms that have a semi-private balcony and 2 chaise chairs and 2 adirondack chairs. That was the reason I chose this type of room for the sundeck and lounge chairs. They are located on the 3rd floor, the same as the parking lot. Keep in mind there are no elevators. They are currently building a beach house rental. Would love to see how will look when it’s completed. It looks very close to being done. Rooms facing Beach Street either have a shared patio or shared balcony with 2 chairs out front.

Hotel offers coffee, cappuccino, espresso, hot chocolate, and tea in the morning. In the afternoon, popcorn is available.

There is a Walgreens just a few minutes away to pick up water, snacks, etc., to save some money.

I only drove my car twice and used 2nd street each time instead of using Beach Street. It was so much easier to avoid all the traffic.

Food:
We picked up a small breakfast at the Picnic Basket right beneath the hotel and it was very good. It’s a little pricey but good food. Gilda’s and Woodies on the Wharf was good and reasonably price. South Beach Pizza was not good at all. My son had a hamburger and thought it was good, but the pizza, pina colada, and the cerviche were tasteless. Would not go back there again. Ate breakfast at the Beach Café on the corner near the Boardwalk. It was just so so…Drove to Crows Nest (only takes about 10 minutes) and enjoyed a great dinner in the lower part of the restaurant out on the deck. If you can get a water view, it’s really nice. The upper level has a slightly different menu, so that’s why we ate downstairs. I wanted the shrimp/crab louie and it was delicious.

The Mystery Spot:
It was about 15 minutes away and kind of fun but a bit cheezy.

Seqway Tour:
Purchased a Groupon for this and it was very cool. After practicing for about 15 minutes, I had the hang of it and we were off. I was concerned about my kids, but they did great. You do go out on the main street a few times but overall I really didn’t worry. I would recommend going during the week to avoid the traffic on the roads and walkways. The tour we took was the West Cliff and Wharf Tour. Tami was great and took pictures through-out the tour. After the tour, she will send you an email to her facebook with all the pics and you can save the ones you want. This was our something new for our vacation and we all had fun.

Boardwalk: We were there for 3 full days, so I purchased annual passes for my kids for $75 each. I think this was a good value knowing that they could come and go and they please for our time there and it was all covered. Also, the passes come with 1 friend’s day pass, so I could use those.

Overall, great place to stay. You won’t be disappointed. Recommended for families or couples.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
6  Thank Cruiser101
Reviewed 8 July 2015

The location of this hotel is right on the main road that runs in front of the Boardwalk. I stayed a night here with my teenage daughter and her friend to celebrate their 8th grade graduations with the intention of spending the day at the Boardwalk. The hotel was undergoing some construction, but that didn't interfere with much except for navigating the parking lot. There is an upper level of rooms, which are mainly centered around the pool, and the office. Office was small, quaint and very inviting. We booked an Ocean View Veranda room (Room 204). These rooms are on 3 separate levels off a stairway leading down to the main road. The room had two adirondack chairs outside on the large walkway..perfect spot for coffee in the morning looking out at the pier. Inside the room was very cute. Decorated more in a boutique fashion than the standard hotel room down the road. Shades of blues and beach themed decor. We had 2 super-comfy queen beds. Seriously the most comfortable bed I've probably ever slept in outside of my home :) Large double shower (although one shower head was not working). Boardwalk was within 5 minutes of walking, and even leaving the Boardwalk after closing at 11:30pm we felt safe walking to the hotel. There was a key-entry locked gate at the bottom of the stairs that was nice to keep random people from walking around the hotel. Pier was also within a couple minutes walking distance. My only complaint was that even though "quiet time" was at 11pm, there was a lot of loud music coming from behind our room. It sounded like a larger group of people, with a guitar, taking turns singing, etc. Though I thought the price was a bit high, I would book this spot again given the close proximity to the Boardwalk, Pier, and multiple shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank MrsCarr2009
Reviewed 7 July 2015

This was our 3rd stay at the Beach Street Inn & Suites and, AGAIN, we had a fabulous time! This year we reserved rooms on the lowest level of the hotel directly above the street level. The small kitchens were a big help for easy snacks and breakfast since we had a group of 11. The rooms are large with plenty of room for a family of 4 (or 6 in the suite). We had a great time people watching on the street level and will definitely be back again! Great staff, great location and great times to be had by all.

The only "bummer" of the visit was that the fire pit has been temporarily removed while the hotel has undergone some changes in the office location and the building of some new rooms on the West side of the property. However, the staff told us that the new fire pit area will be built in the next few months. I'm sure the experience will be back better than ever, but for now FYI that the fire pit doesn't exist.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family