“Great location on the beach”
Review of Ideal Bar & Grill

Ideal Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Ideal Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #49 of 395 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 30 April 2018

Indoor dining is ok but outdoor patio dining is fabulous. Menu is huge, snacks e.g calamari to steak dinners. Good food, especially salads, Drinks are good with specials even better. Parking can be a problem.

Reviewed 28 April 2018 via mobile

The restaurant offers some great views overlooking the beach but I was disappointed in the food. I ate the salmon, which was over cooked and dry, largely due to it being a cheaper tail cut rather than a thicker center cut. When I go to a restaurant for seafood - especially salmon - I really expect it to be moist and cooked better than I can make it at home. Unfortunately this one didn’t live up to that expectation.

Reviewed 28 April 2018

I think the title says it best! They do a great job with service and the food is fine and we'll return, no doubt about it. Just don't go here expecting 5 star cuisine, but what you get will be good, in fact very good! Stop in and enjoy, it's definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed 27 April 2018 via mobile

This place is located smack in the middle between the boardwalk rides and the pier. Meaning it's location catches the tourists. So expect high prices. We rode our road bikes here so we sat outside so we could sit next to our parked bikes (had to leave them outside the rail per our server). In April, sitting outside is still a bit on the cool side. The outside dining area had both umbrellas and heaters.

I tried the Grilled Mahi Mahi. My buddy tried the Ahi Soba Noodle salad. He said his salad was good. It was definitely a large salad. My fish came with rice and sauteed kale (a little salty but liked it!)...it was all good! Our server was nice. Full bar service if you're looking for alcoholic drinks.

Other than the high prices and it's location, nothing exceptional makes this place stand out in my opinion. Just an average restaurant in my book. I'll probably try one of the restaurants on the pier before coming back here on my next visit...cause I'm sure they too ask premium prices to dine.

Reviewed 18 April 2018

I was looking for a place with decent food and reasonable prices at the boardwalk and wharf area. If you remove the actual wharf restaurants ( not great food) and aquarius( very pricey) that leaves Ideal. luckily the food was good, the menu pretty decent and varied, and the prices reasonable. You can sit on the deck or inside, and your have an ocean view. The beer choices are a little limited versus a gastropub, but not bad.