National 9 Motel
Comfort Inn Beach/Boardwalk Area(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
US$130
Hyatt Place Santa Cruz(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
US$169
  • Breakfast included
Dream Inn(Santa Cruz)
US$310
US$239
  • Pool
Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
US$238
US$219
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
US$209
  • Breakfast included
Beach Street Inn and Suites(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
US$299
Hilton Santa Cruz / Scotts Valley(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
US$169
US$163
West Cliff Inn, a Four Sisters Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
US$254
Travelocity
Babbling Brook Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
US$254
Bella Notte - The Inn at East Cliff(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
US$159
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 June 2013

My friend was looking for value for his buck and we certainly weren't expecting anything over the top here - just a clean room and minimal but at least courteous service. When my friend checked in early, we found the room unlocked and trashed - which, fine, it was still early afternoon and we'll deal with it. I also thought it was unreasonable for a motel not to accommodate late check-in, especially pre-arranged, but again, we'll deal with it even though it required us to go out of our way during the day. But what I found truly appalling was the owner/manager's behavior. My friend was nice enough to go to the front desk to let him know that there were going to be three extra people in his room for 10 minutes (we just needed to change) - as if my friend were a child in some horrible boarding school having to check in with a hall monitor! The owner wasn't at the front desk, but he saw us going into the room and barreled out of his office, screaming at us. He had jumped to the conclusion that we were all staying there (not true - the rest of us had booked elsewhere), gave us no chance to explain, acted in an extremely agitated and antagonistic way, and kicked us out unceremoniously. We weren't expecting white-glove service, but this was the rudest "service" I've ever gotten!!

2  Thank WChenBoston
National9motel, Manager at National 9 Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Same comments as the may 27,2013 review.
They were all together.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

We planned to check in after a wedding at midnight. When we told management this they wanted us to come earlier because they said no one would be there to man the desk at that time (which didn't seem very professional). So we came before the wedding (which was very inconvenient), checked in, and then 2 of our friends who were staying at a different hotel tried to come into our room to change because of the timing inconvenience. When we opened the door, the room was completely unmade with Burger King wrappers and other trash all over the place. When we tried to complain, the manager (a very mean and unkempt person), came out yelled at us for having more than 2 people (he didn't even try to listen to us about the timing issues that he caused by making us check in earlier) and told us all to leave. That left us without any place to stay only a few hours before our friends' wedding. Luckily, the nicer and only marginally more expensive hotel that the friends who tried to change with us were staying at let us in. So, unless you want to be bullied around by an unfriendly man in a very trashy motel, I'd highly recommend looking elsewhere!

2  Thank gmervine
National9motel, Manager at National 9 Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Same comments as the May 27,2013 guest review.They were all together.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

The only hotel in Santa Cruz that weekend that had a vacant sign...that's a bad sign if you think about it. Owner wouldn't let us check in later, and forced us to come in the afternoon, out of our way, to pick up our key. Room was a disaster, door was unlocked, crap everywhere. When we told the owner we'd write a bad review if he didn't fix things he said "go ahead, I don't care"...do you really want to stay at a place where the owner doesn't care about what his current/future customers think?

Santa Cruz is a popular destination, book early so you don't get stuck with this place. Plenty of decent hotels around the area for similar prices.

2  Thank Terryboston2

Same comments as the May 27,2013 review. They were all together.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

We called the hotel asking about checkin times, and said we would be coming after a wedding at ~midnight. They pleaded with us to come earlier, which seemed unprofessional. We said maybe we could come around 1:30 in the afternoon before the wedding. When we did, they checked us in our room and gave us a key. But the room was not made up, with fast food on every surface. Also, we had two others with us who were going to change, and the owner came out and yelled at us. Wasn't even much cheaper than nearby hotels!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Ryanj2002

Guest made a reservation thru Expedia for 1 person and called me to inform me that he will be checking in at 1.00am in the morning hours after the wedding party.I asked him to come now ,check in and take your room key and he can then directly go into the room at 1.00am.Guest came to the office but parked his car next door.I asked him how many persons do you have with you . He said maybe my girlfriend will stay with me.So I said pay $10 more and she can stay with you.He refused and said she will get a room elsewhere.He pulled his car into the our parking lot and had his girlfriend and two other people.They were entering the room and I stopped them.The room was not cleaned yet they were willing to go in.I called Expedia and told them what happened and cancelled the reservation.
They told me if I do not let them go in the room then I will get four bad reviews so think about it .
I did not change my position so they posted 3 bad reviews.The 2 other reviews are dated May 29,2013.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

So, I realize that I only paid $75 for a one-night stay, and that this is not the Four Seasons, but I have to tell you I slept awfully (which means I hardly slept at all) because of 1) world's loudest ice machine, 2) really close freeway access, and 3) really thin walls which "allowed" me to hear 3a) a room that watched a hilarious movie from 11pm-3am, 3b) an amorous couple give two performances and 3c) pretty much everything else going on around me.

Beyond that, the room was clean, and the staff was nice. I was a little disappointed there weren't any tiny shampoo bottles, even for a bargain place like this. Shower, TV, and other amenities were fine. Additionally, it was pretty conveniently located, even to get downtown and to the beach, albeit via a car.

Long story short: you get what you pay for, and a fine motel overall, but I would suggest some sleep aids (earplugs, Benadryl, etc.).

Room Tip: Room 10 and 11 were right next to ice machine. Avoid at all costs.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo