All reviews bed was comfortable across the street danish rates parking boardwalk ocean housekeeping
Reviewed 2 April 2016 via mobile

Weary after 4days straight of commercial crabbing, even at midnight Vic the owner was very nice! The room was much more than I expected. Clean, good size tv with cable and HBO, wifi works great, and they had a nice little breakfast claw assortment next to the coffee and orange juice in the office when I woke up . Talking to Kim (co-owner)this morning was nice as well. During our conversation over coffee, I heard about a guy who was smoking pot in the room and then misplaced some money, in which the amount continued to change from 3 to 5 to 7 hundred dollars. They (the owners) went as far as letting the guy search the premise, the maid, and even the maid's car!!! I wouldn't have let it go that far, I would have had him leave way before that. The maid Is now on their 11th year of service to the owners. I just wanted to mention that because one bad apple (rotten really) shouldn't affect someone's hotel selection. I felt super safe and comfortable here and losing a possession was the least of my worries. Victor and Kim take a lot of pride in their hotel and it shows. And at a little over half the cost of a beach motel, i was still an 8 minute drive to the boardwalk in heavy morning traffic. 4 stars! I look forward to another affordable night stay.

Date of stay: April 2016
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Evan P
Reviewed 25 October 2015

Santa Cruz hotel prices vary quite a bit of the same hotels depending on what was going on the weekend and are also seasonal. The weekend of our stay went sky high from the usual $100 to $229. This was also the most inexpensive place we could find in the area for the same day booking.

The motel was very basic and slightly tired furnishings but was clean with fast internet. The air conditioner worked in wonders and definitely kept the room chilled. There was an ice machine downstairs. There was only 1 soap in terms of amenities so it definitely required a trip to the convenience store to pick up shampoo and body lotion, etc. The sink was outside the bathroom.

There's also a small pool outside.

The place was a bit far from the beach but okay if you drive. There were just enough parking spots in the lot and were tight. We got the very last one.

There was packaged pastries and basic brewed coffee and OJ in the morning if you need something before going out.

The owners were friendly, and the check-in and check-out were fast.

Date of stay: August 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank TaminatorSF
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were pleasantly surprised when we visited Santa Cruz on a busy weekend with our 5 grandchildren. Every hotel we tried was booked. We finally visited the small (vintage looking) hotel called National 9. We normally would not have used this hotel but are glad we did. The rooms were clean and fresh smelling. The pool was just right for the kids. It was quiet and the owners could not have been nicer and anymore accommodating than they were. We were highly satisfied with our stay and can recommend this friendly little hotel.

Room tip: We needed adjoining rooms and was accommodated. The rooms also had nice, large high definition flat screen TV's, it was wonderful.
Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Bedding was old & dirty, lucky for me I had brought blanket from home;very noise did not get Goodnight sleep, outside was terrible; breakfast was terrible; TV was old not good reception. Never will I stay in this hotel.

Date of stay: December 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
4  Thank Olga A
Reviewed 12 August 2013

For some reason, on Saturday night, August 10th, there was a lot of price gouging going on in Santa Cruz and with No Vacancy signs all over town, I paid in excess of $200 for a room comparable to an $80 Super8.... but I wish I'd driven away because there's a big Day's Inn another half an hour or so to the south on the 1.

On the plus side, the internet service was good and the password was long and complicated (and I received no influx of spam the next day), the bath tub was oval, big enough to sleep in, surrounded by travertine type marble, the floor was marble. The plumbing did not leak or drip, the bathroom had a working window (new, too) and it might even have had a bug screen.

The paintwork was new, but the painter was so sloppy that he'd painted over the gunk and dust in the ventilator and the screws, so the ventilation has no chance ever of being cleaned now and is probably disgusting. There was no air conditioning, but there was a big fan. The bathroom ceiling was already looking mottled, so, assuming that the roof is now sound, they ought to have used stainkill and didn't.

The single wool blankets looked pilled and felted and dirty but may have just been over-enthusiastiically laundered. We preferred to be cold than use them. The carpet looked no better than any other motel carpet, which is as kind as I can be. The mattresses and box springs at least were enclosed in those bedbug-proof bags. I appreciated seeing those bags. And we were not bitten.

There were no fridges or microwaves, no coffeemaker in the room, not even an ice bucket. It was all very basic and exceptionally poor value for money.

The breakfast was the pits. They had no breakfast room. They just put a jug of orange juice and ice on the check in counter alongside a thermos of the worst coffee I have ever tasted, and a plate of plastic-wrapped (commercial) "pastries" loaded with preservatives.

It seemed like Victor and Kim Patel were nice people and they were trying to renovate and upgrade....in fact from the workers' debris and the hammering early on Sunday morning, it seems that work is proceeding apace. Perhaps they normally do have a breakfast room.

I appreciated the secure internet, the new bathtub, the secure plumbing.

Room tip: If it is late at night and you are tired, check the windows. They leave the windows open, but the bug screens make them look closed. The room will be quieter if you close the windows.
Date of stay: August 2013