“Was hoping for much more...”

Aloha Island Grille
Ranked #85 of 377 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Reviewed 20 August 2016

Expected a local gem based on the reviews, but we got a very old and sorry looking place and people clearly didn't look like they wanted to be there. Interestingly it appeared to be a place that would be much more lively in the late evening than the 4-5pm hour we showed up. Nothing was memorable there except the poke, and not for a good reason. It came to us in a plastic soup take-out container that they took out of the fridge, and upon opening, the tuna reeked of having been marinated for days in too much sesame oil, onions and soy. It was inedible.

Reviewed 20 August 2016

Casual, low key restaurant decorated ala surf/tiki/Hawaiian. Born and raised in Hawaii I am totally over eating this kind of fare and am super critical but curiosity drove me to try their food. I tried two dishes and was pleasantly surprised--the kalua pork was not as smoky as truly smoked in the imu pork tastes like and was on the bland side; the beef stew was very good--they give generous portions and the prices are reasonable. They have ahi poke, poi, lomi salmon (which are not too common at these places) They also have grilled mahi mahi and salmon as well as the usual teriyaki dishes. Would definitely recommend this place to those who want local style plate lunches/food. Will be going back to try some other dishes.

Reviewed 15 July 2016

Very good Hawaiian-esqe place lots of locals go there so don't act like a kook the food there also good , the beach is also close by. The location is pretty convenient if you want to go back into santa cruz or go to portola.

Reviewed 4 October 2015

Some places need a refresh. Aloha Island Grille is desperate for it. This applies to the physical as well as the food. As fans of Saimin, we wandered late on Saturday afternoon under cool but sunny sky.

Since our dog was with us, only the outside deck was available. We appreciate this, as does our poo cross. I chose chicken teriyaki while my better half picked a bowl of Saimin. We also chose coconut shrimp for an appetizer.

My teriyaki consisted of two small boneless pieces - a thigh and a drumstick - plus rice and pasta salad. The chicken must have been small -- like at El Pollo Loco. The pieces bordered on tough due to over-grilling.

The Saimin was good, but when I asked my wife if she'd return, no enthusiasm. The coconut shrimp were probably the best of our choices. Oh, well.

My teriyaki consisted of two small boneless pieces - a thigh and a drumstick - plus rice and pasta salad. The chicken must have been small -- like at El Pollo Loco. The pieces bordered on tough due to overgrilling.

Reviewed 30 September 2015

The Aloha Grill is one of our family’s favorites, including our dog who was with us on the outside deck! The serving person was kind enough to bring a water bowl for him without being asked. Simple food, well prepared in the classic non-luau style of entre, rice & macaroni salad. They also have side of seaweed salad, which is much better than it sounds. Parking can be a challenge, so park on the street (16th Ave) and walk-in.