“Quick dinner”

Aloha Island Grille
Ranked #84 of 377 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Reviewed 31 March 2017 via mobile

Food was great! Teriyaki chicken and loco moco was spot on. The only thing that kept me from rating them a five was the people behind the counter. After watching for quite sometime I figured it out, of you are not a local you were not treated like a customer, more like an inconvenience. That's a bummer. The girls really need to work on their people skills across the board. They were mostly friendly to their own demographic (young,surfer,boozer) which would concern me as a business owner.
But, being to HI 9 times tells me they are legit. Lower your expectations for service and then you will eat just fine.

1  Thank kylephaynes

Reviewed 18 January 2017

Great plate lunch- these are locals and transplants from Maui. very good traditional plate lunch style

Reviewed 27 August 2016

I'm torn giving Aloha Grill a low rating, but the food I received was inedible - overcooked and too salty. While I did enjoy the island vibes upon walking inside, the food I picked up for the beach were a whole different story.

Food: Loco Moco. Avoid! Everything was overcooked from the the patties to the eggs. The patties and eggs were so overcooked, it was impossible to cut into.

Ahi poke. So salty, be ready to chug a whole bottle of water after. The tuna was brown, which made me question if it was fresh, or if it was from being over marinated. Regardless, it was probably over marinated because it wasn't fresh.

Spam masubi: only thing I enjoyed as it was made correctly, and tasted like what it's suppose to taste like.

Overall: Don't think I'll be back when I'm in SC since 2/3 of what I ordered was a huge disappointment.

Reviewed 20 August 2016

Expected a local gem based on the reviews, but we got a very old and sorry looking place and people clearly didn't look like they wanted to be there. Interestingly it appeared to be a place that would be much more lively in the late evening than the 4-5pm hour we showed up. Nothing was memorable there except the poke, and not for a good reason. It came to us in a plastic soup take-out container that they took out of the fridge, and upon opening, the tuna reeked of having been marinated for days in too much sesame oil, onions and soy. It was inedible.

Reviewed 20 August 2016

Casual, low key restaurant decorated ala surf/tiki/Hawaiian. Born and raised in Hawaii I am totally over eating this kind of fare and am super critical but curiosity drove me to try their food. I tried two dishes and was pleasantly surprised--the kalua pork was not as smoky as truly smoked in the imu pork tastes like and was on the bland side; the beef stew was very good--they give generous portions and the prices are reasonable. They have ahi poke, poi, lomi salmon (which are not too common at these places) They also have grilled mahi mahi and salmon as well as the usual teriyaki dishes. Would definitely recommend this place to those who want local style plate lunches/food. Will be going back to try some other dishes.