“Classic Top Quality Northern Italian in Santa Monica”
Review of Locanda del Lago

Locanda del Lago
Reserve with OpenTable
Locanda del Lago is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #105 of 723 Restaurants in Santa Monica
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Santa Monica
Cross street: Third St. Promenade
Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

When I walked in here I was immediately piqued by the atmosphere and attractive decor of this Restaurant. I felt like I was going to Italy even though this is in the heart of Santa Monica, well located on the Promenade.

I was greeted by the Manager who is from Italy(very well dressed and professional I might add) and seated at a nice table in the main dining area.

The menu is very extensive with many California farm to table offerings and direct from Italy.

The Server was very helpful with answering my questions and I decided on the Antipasto Misto and their signature Angus beef lasagna.

The Misto consisted of Gorgonzola, Bresaola(beef), Speck, Prosciutto Parma and Fiore Sardo(firm sheep milk cheese fr island of Sardinia).

It was delicious...what else can I say...especially the Gorgonzola on the bread dipped in olive oil.

The Angus meat Lasagna was also superb with just the right texture and flavor.

For a drink I had the Raspberry Lemon drop which had great quality ingredients and tasted it.

I also appreciated the chalkboards in the restaurant explaining the food origins from Italy and California.

So far this year, Locanda is the best Italian fine dining restaurant I have patronized in Santa Monica and places in my top 10 for LA.

They are very worthy of a repeat visit to try their many classic Italian offerings

Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

My husband and I were wanting some Italian and stumbled across this place. I would love to give it 5 stars because everything was amazing EXCEPT the guy on the front door. He could barely acknowledge us as we arrived and was so quiet and awkward - even when we left the restaurant he couldn’t even say bye as we walked straight by him. However, I cannot praise all of the waiters and inside staff more! Fantastic service and the food was to die for. So fresh and authentic - we would go as far as saying the best Italian we’ve had. Highly recommend the crab pasta and spinach & ricotta ravioli!! The complimentary bread with pesto oil was a perfect touch and well received. Thank you for a lovely meal & keep up the great work guys!

Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

Stumbled across this place and what great service and friendly waiters and the food is so good. I had the 2 course tasting menu what great value. I chose the Vitelli Tonnato really tender veal with tuna sauce followed by a beautiful gnocchi in a tomato sauce and cheese gratin.Others had the bolognese and lasagne both really excellent. Mint and cucumber lemonade wow we had such a lovely meal. Sustainable from farm to table even better. If I ever come back to Santa Monica I will definitely come back here.

Reviewed 12 January 2018

We went to Locanda del Lago for Christmas dinner after arriving in LA earlier that day. It was the perfect place - staff were attentive, even though they were so busy, food was great and the atmosphere was buzzing for a special celebration night. Wine was a bit pricey but overall a great evening.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

OK food.
Convenient right off 3rd Street.
Was near our hotel and shopping strip.

Wife liked her salad.
I thought my lasagna was salty.
Friends had the pizza with a very thin crispy crust. Pretty good from what I heard.
Also had a cappuccino that wasn't all that good, given this is an Italian resto, I'd say it was watery and the milk wasn't foamy whatsoever... fail.

Service was excellent and attentive. Perhaps that helped our dining experience.